Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm thinking about replacing my worn out front seats on my 94 LeBaron GTC Convertible with some new aftermarket racer seats. Been reading up on it and some mounting brackets I'd need to install. Haven't had much luck finding any and was looking for input/suggestions from anyone who has done this themselves already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Sonnyson

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
I just put cheap-o Summit blow molded 'racer' seats in my omni.. imo yu have 2 choices:

1. make an adapter plate(s) to mount the new seat to the existing seat's mounting base ; this retains all the adjustability of the factory seat base mechanism...
2. make an adapter plate(s) which mounts the new seat directly to the (4) original mount bolts in the body, not using any of the original seat/base; either yur adapter plate needs some form of adjustment, or you set it right for your preference and weld it. altho yu can e.g. add spacer under the rear mounts to 'adjust' seat angle ..

I did #2 ; used angle iron from an old bed frame; took me about 3-4 hours to do both fronts, with access to a MIG, plasma cutter, etc.

either way, you need to remove a seat and have it upside down next to yur new seat to recon the solution..
there will be no 'aftermarket' or off-the-shelf solution,, just yu & yur fab skills ;)

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
other solutions include :
  • find a nice(r) used replacement (can't be too hard),
  • have yur existing seats re-upholstered, either stock style or change colors, upgrade the material, add some bolstering, etc;
  • find another (newer) OE seat to swap in, eg Sebring convertible ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. I’m going to try to mount it to the existing brackets if I can. I’ll take a look at some of your solutions and see which one is the easiest for my skill set. I do have a welder, but I absolutely suck at welding, so I’m not sure how good of an option that is for me. I’ll let you know which option works best.
Merry Christmas

other solutions include :
  • find a nice(r) used replacement (can't be too hard),
  • have yur existing seats re-upholstered, either stock style or change colors, upgrade the material, add some bolstering, etc;
  • find another (newer) OE seat to swap in, eg Sebring convertible ?

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
ha I am terrible at welding too,
but I did it and it aint pretty but ..
IT"S ALL UNDER THE SEAT ;)

Merry Christmas :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I might hit you up again when I get close to getting the seats so I can find out how you configured the adapter plates. Maybe I can make them without welding them? Maybe using bolts instead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts