Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings turbododge! I was poking around the local boneyard, and I found this beauty in a 94 Lebaron.

I was wondering if it's an infinity III unit, its got a broken bolt or something holding it in so i couldn't exactly yank it out to do more research, there's some oddities about it that don't match some images I've seen of the Infinity III.

My other question is, if it is an infinity head unit, would it be simple plug & play with the rest of the turbo dodge family like the other infinities, with say a 92 'tona? Don't wanna spend the time trying to liberate it from it's scrapped home just to find out I got bupkis lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is definitely NOT any type of Infinity radio.
The Infinity radios will be clearly marked "Infinity" and the speaker panels will have the Infinity logo on them as well.

Keep in mind Infinity radios are used with separate amps on each speaker- it will NOT work with a standard audio system at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drats, I was afraid that would be the case, I thought infinity units usually had it marked on the face but I figured I'd double check. My car does have the infinity system though so that's not a concern if I do manage to get lucky and find one. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
It is not branded as Infinity, but it has all the same features as the Infinity units. This unit actually post-dates the Infinity III and is a Mitsubishi designed unit for mid to late 90's cars. If you look at the back, it should have a CD changer port. Read more about the various radio options here -> A Guide to Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth) Stereo ?Head Units?.

The Inifinity head units absolutely will work with normal radio systems. They just work better with the amplified speakers. I have run Infinity head units in every TD I've ever owned, some with stock speakers and some with aftermarkets. The amplified 6.5" speakers are kind of terrible IMO. The sound just seems off somehow to me. But, the 5x7 and 6x9 Infinity speakers are outstanding and coupled with the right head unit produce an amazing sound. My Daytona currently has Alpine aftermarket 6.5" speakers in the doors and factory 5x7 Infinity in the rear. All the speakers sound great.

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
that bolt's not broken
it's a security screw - tamper proof , kinda

a socket pushed against the head of the bolt might / should get it out

infinity speakers had the amps on the speakers - these were powered by a relay behind the upright console

the relay it triggered by a signal wire from the radio - like / same as a power antenna trigger

infinity I was non amped speaker infinity II was amped speaker with 5 band eq

o-e speaker wireing is almost useless when adding an aftermarket stereo due to the odd splicing of the speaker wires

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@EvilcowRoland That was a very interesting read and very informative, thanks for linking that! Also good to know that the Infinity units work just fine with non-infinity radio systems. I'll keep that speaker combo in mind, I love the way the infinity speakers sound with my current Inf I deck!
@Dr. Johny Dodge, Alright good to know, I wasn't sure if it was broken or a security bolt, and now you've settled that. I'll have to try that socket trick, might/should is good enough for me :laugh: . Good to know about how the Infinity speakers work, and any challenges I may end up facing in the future in regards to the Infinity speaker system.

Thank you both very much for the info! I think I'll snag the unit anyway, I could turn it into a very nice garage radio :grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts