Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts
I think the kits are actually not too bad, I have used them many times, and really you dont have much choice since the stock opening is a non-standard shape & size

well actually you do have a choice since there are MANY MANY OE ChryCo units which will plug&play ; I ran a single-CD from a 95 (?) Neon in my 89 spirit... Plug&Play

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, thanks deto.. i was just trying to figure out what size aftermarket i can put in there without using the kits. i had a conquest and i bought a double din and it fit perfect and looked factory..

· Registered
894 Posts
yeah i have a 1 din kenwood in my glh now. i think they make aftermarket head units that are 1.5 din also right?

correction---they do make 1.5 din radios. search on ebay for '1.5 din' and i think 15 radios popped up. just incase you dont want one of the adapter kits. :)

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
figures.. they gotta be odd about things LOL.. i wasnt sure i wanted to install a radio that fit the opening, i hate using those kits there a pain in the arse..
IMHO, Scosche kits suck monkey balls.

I usually use Metra. The kit i used last had the option adjusting the kit to allow the new head-unit to sit recessed. The front of the head-unit was then flush with the kit and didn't stick out all stupid like the crummy Scosche kits

FROM THE METRA INSTRUCTIONS:

If a surface-mount installation is desired, cut and remove the shaft supports from the Faceplate. Snap the converted Faceplate into the Radio Housing. Slide the DIN cage into the Housing and secure by bending the metal locking tabs down. Slide the aftermarket head unit into the cage until secure.
If an intermediate-mount installation is desired, attach the Snap Spacers to the outer walls of the radio opening. Slide the DIN cage into the Radio Housing and secure by bending the metal locking tabs down. Slide the aftermarket head unit into the cage until secure.
If a flush-mount installation is desired, slide the DIN cage into the Radio Housing and secure by bending the metal locking tabs down. Slide the aftermarket head unit into the cage until secure.

89 Daytona Metra kits

Obviously the cheap one-piece kit won't have those options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.