Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 Rampage AT. Planning to put in a 85 Shelby Charger engine and trans. Got a lot of questions. Planning to use as many parts as i can from the Rampage. The Charger parts are in bad condition. Will the axle shafts from the AT Rampage work in the 5 speed trans from the Charger? Can I use the Rampage steering knuckles and other front end parts? Would control arms, ball joints, etc be interchangeable? Just wondering what I can use from the Rampage? Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I have a 83 Rampage AT. Planning to put in a 85 Shelby Charger engine and trans. Got a lot of questions. Planning to use as many parts as i can from the Rampage. The Charger parts are in bad condition. Will the axle shafts from the AT Rampage work in the 5 speed trans from the Charger? Can I use the Rampage steering knuckles and other front end parts? Would control arms, ball joints, etc be interchangeable? Just wondering what I can use from the Rampage? Any info would be great. Thanks.
You've got the best donor you can get. All the suspension bits will interchange without issue. Check it, but the Charger should have a larger front sway bar than the Rampage. I'd definitely swap that in. Half shafts will work, the early AT's used the same splines as the 5 speed. I would definitely at a minimum use the brakes off the SC. They are FAR superior to the Rampage versions... Even if you have to buy new calipers, rotors, and drums, do the upgrade. Factory base 83 L-body brakes are crap at best... This means you need to use the SC front knuckles. They got a larger wheel bearing in the hub for performance use.

The one area you will run into a little issue is the wiring. the 83 & 85 bulkhead connectors are a little different. 84 was a big transition year for the L-body. Chrysler made a lot of changes to the wiring & dash. You need to get FSM's for both years so you can match everything up to do the conversion. Not tough, since both cars are L-body, but take your time & be careful.

I just finished converting my Scamp to a 2.5TII setup last summer. But I used a wiring harness from a P-body because it's what I had available, and I wanted to use an SMEC ECU.

Plan it out carefully, and it will go fine. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck.

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
ok don't take this the wrong way but you have an 83 rampage and an 85 shelby charger

so that makes every mechinacal part in the front end of the rampage scrap .. or a part to sell to another guy with an 83 'cause you don't need any of it

except maybe the engine mounts - front and both sides
- I don't remember for sure off hand when the motor mounts changed from the early to later style in L body

if the front mounts below the rad cradle look the same , check the 85's for reinforcement at the area where it attaches to the motor - the mounts tend to crack there

and note the circle from the pin bolt that attaches the mount to the bracket on the rad cradle
that's the reference you need to put the mount back in and have it properly aligned so it doesn't pop c/v joints when you turn

everything in the shelby charger front end is better than your 83
from the rad to the firewall , fender to fender and all the way from the top of the struts to the quick ratio steering rack , the brakes , springs , struts , everything is better in the charger

even the K frame is probably upgraded somehow - not to mention swapping it is easier than welding on the tab you need to add to your automatic 83 crossmember for the bobble bracket on the back of the manual trans

swapping the dash would get you the upgraded cluster and that comes with the matching wiring already in the shelby along with the engine compartment harness

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't get what you mean by the " circle from the pin bolt"? Could you send a picture or a drawing of what you mean?

and note the circle from the pin bolt that attaches the mount to the bracket on the rad cradle
that's the reference you need to put the mount back in and have it properly aligned so it doesn't pop c/v joints when you turn

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I don't get what you mean by the " circle from the pin bolt"? Could you send a picture or a drawing of what you mean?

What he means is, the front motor mount is attached to the lower radiator support by 2 bolts & two studs w/nuts. The holes in the motor mount are elongated so the mount can move side to side to center the engine/trans combo. Note where the washers on these bolts and nuts leaves a circle on the motor mount when you take it off. That will give you a decent point to re-center the engine & trans.

That will get you pretty close, but the most accurate way to know your engine/trans combo is centered, is to remove the nuts from the ends of the axles, set the vehicle on the ground( DO NOT MOVE THE VEHICLE, THE WHEEL BEARINGS CAN SEPARATE!!) with wheels attached, and push in the axle. They are spring loaded. Measure how much they push in, and adjust the engine/trans side to side until they depress the same amount. If you don't do this, and the engine is off, it will eat your CV shafts in short order.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O.K. That makes sense. Never even thought of that. I will probably have a lot more questions . Thanks for the info 83scamp.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
O.K. That makes sense. Never even thought of that. I will probably have a lot more questions . Thanks for the info 83scamp.
Don't be afraid to ask. Like I said, I just converted my Scamp to turbo this past summer. Hopefully I can help and answer any questions you have.

If I can't there are plenty more on here that can, and most are willing to help.

In fact, if you want to do a little reading, I documented my build here: 83 Scamp GT turbo conversion

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question. Would the factory AT from the Rampage be able to handle the power from a Shelby Charger Turbo? Would it bolt up?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Another question. Would the factory AT from the Rampage be able to handle the power from a Shelby Charger Turbo? Would it bolt up?
Yes, it should bolt right up. As to power, it should handle the stock power OK. Technically, turbo cars had a "turbo" AT with more clutch disks to handle the added power. But, I've read where guys have taken apart a "turbo" AT, and it didn't have any more disks...

The 5 speed will be more fun, and give you much better drivability on the highway than the AT...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the AT will probably be screaming at highway speeds. My 5 speed needs some work... you know how it goes with time and money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts