Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I need some help with my 1984 Dodge Rampage, Automatic, stock 2.2...... Ok, I bought the vehicle back in August of 2009, ran fine, started every time, then she started blowing anti freeze out of the exhaust, still started and ran fine, but decided to replace the head gasket. I tore it apart, put a new egr valve on, new fuel pump, all new gaskets, but I let a shop clean it up and do all the tests, but when I got it back, a couple valves were in different places. I put the head on the block, put it all together, and wont start. New platinum bosch plugs get spark, new battery, new fuel pump gives the carb fuel, and I gave the carb some starting fluid to. Nothing, no fire, I rotated the distributor 180 degrees, gave me one or two pops and some smoke out the carb, I put the distributor back to where its supposed to be. Then I pulled my timing belt and alternator belt. I lined the cam gear up so that its pointing straight up, slightly to the firewall because the engine is slightly slanted. Then, Im supposed to line up my intermediate shaft with my crank shaft. Theres supposed to be a outer and inner timing mark on it, not mine. I only have the inner mark, not the smaller outer mark that is supposed to be lined up with the crank gear mark. In order to get to the crank gear timing mark, id have to pull the main pulley, but I heard from another TD member that I dont have to, once the main timing light mark is at the 0 position, the crank gear mark is in place, so thats what I did. So the crank, intermediate, and cam gear are all in place. I popped my distributor cap to see where the rotor is, it was pointing between the #2/#3 cylinder, which needs to be at the #1 cylinder. How do I get it to the #1 cylinder without messing up my gear timing? I cranked it over, it cranked super smooth, and fast, no problems, but not one once of an attempted fire, just cranking. Whats wrong? Thanks

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
it sounds to me like you got your timming off. theres a little mark on edge of timming gear for oil pump shaft. its a little grove. kinda hard to see but it is there. sounds like you got it out of time..

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
if you cant find the mark on that timming gear. just take the dist cap off and point the rotor at the number 1# piston. you desribed it right but the intermediate shaft is the killer lol.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
It sounds like you have the crank 180* out. I forgot to mention there are 2 marks on the flex plate. Pull the #1 plug and then turn the crank to where you have the mark on the flex plate to 0*. The #1 cylinder will be all of the way to the top if it is at TDC (instead of BDC). If the cylinder is not at the top, then rotate the crank 180* and then you should be good. The distributor will then be pointed at about 10 or 11 o'clock (which is where it should be for #1) then have the cam in the proper location, then you should be set.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Matt, That may be it. Do I need to just pull the timing belt for this? My intermediate gear only has the inner timing mark, not the outer! You said that nose was from a DC, I didnt know they had quad nose DC's? Thanks

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
No, the nose was from an 84 with a DC front chin ground effects (also found on some Turisomos and plain Chargers). I didn't have a DC Rampage (if I did, then I wouldn't have gotten rid of it :thumb:). But I would go off of the trick I showed you with the oil pump gear that drives the distributor, don't worry about the marks that should be on the intermediate shaft gear.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Thanks, let me know if you ever find another scoop, I know your trophy isnt going anywhere, haha. I will mess with the Rampage tomorrow, Thankyou

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
No problem. I am always keeping an eye out for good L-body stuff since I know quite a few people that collect specialty parts. But I will keep an eye out for any goodies that you could use.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou, oh yeah, did you by chance win yours on Ebay? I lost one on Ebay a few months ago by a few dollars, same exact one as yours, same price range I believe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see, looks mighty nice! Should I just leave my side scoops black like the rest of the Rampage, or add a line of white on the side towards the door jam? I saw one like that, pretty cool. I dont think they had mini 2.2 logos or anything on them.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,906 Posts
If you are still having problems, Wednesday I will be available to come take a look.
Q

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was indeed at top dead center! I rotated it a few times after that, but it was at tdc. My distributor is still not at #1, if I rotate something to get it at #1, something will be off obviously.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
It was indeed at top dead center! I rotated it a few times after that, but it was at tdc. My distributor is still not at #1, if I rotate something to get it at #1, something will be off obviously.
so like posted turn the dist to make the cap and number 1 spark plug wire is and it should fire haha

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Did you take the pulleys off the cam & intrem shft ? they are interchangeable , if you flip them over--maybe the cam gear dosent have the timing mark (notch) stamped into its outer edge ...would make sence as stamping all pulleys would have cost chrys twice as much ..4 no good reason ..rembr. those cursed bean counters ARE IN CONTROL !

·
Super Moderator
11,814 Posts
Sorry bout aftr tht ..The cam center line changes from early to late via keyway poss relative to teeth so ,,,who knows what youve got if the pulley is inside out...I would expect this to cause the cam to be advanced or retarded .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts