Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran fine ween parked on Wednesday now (Saturday) doesn’t start. It will only crank, crank, crank, sputter, sputter, crank, crank, crank. Giving it more throttle doesn’t affect it. The fuel pump is working. It ran smooth ounce it would warm up if it was cold it would run quite rough but would always clean up. It’sso not colder than it has been for the past week. I could use some guidance as to what to check.

·
Registered
1989 Shelby CSX
51 Posts
Since it’s sputtering it would seem like it’s firing then. How old is the fuel? If its 3 years then I would say you need to drain it. Have you checked the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is still putting out the correct pressure?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the fuel? If its 3 years then I would say you need to drain it. Have you checked the fuel pressure to make sure the pump is still putting out the correct pressure?
we filled it up last week. It’s been 3 days. The pump was replaced 3 years ago with a Bosch pump. Has worked fine, tank was cleaned when reinstalled along with new lines and fuel filter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a tbi car so the pressure should be around 14 from what I have read.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sounds flooded.

Try holding the gas pedal firmly to the floor to activate "clear flood" mode.

Often, a faulty coolant temp sensor causes flooding when the Engine gets cold.

Check the plugs for wetness and plug in the block heater if so equipped.

Thanks
Randy

Step 2: wait for Jan to reply.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No block heater. Should I pull the fuel pump relay so it doesn’t spray nor fuel in?

When it was running the temp gauge worked fine. On the highway it would stay steady at the fourth line. If you let it idle for a while the temp would clime to the middle of the gauge then the fan would kick on and drop back to the forth or fifth line.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it’s 8:00 here and dark so I will try to start it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Coolant temp sensor is seperate from temp gauge sensor.

CTS tell computer how cold it is and sometimes lies on the cold side.

I've run into this a few times over the years.

Just a possibility, not proof positive.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Is there any possibility that the thermostat is stuck in the open position?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any possibility that the thermostat is stuck in the open position?
It was replaced 2 1/2 years ago. Along with hoses, engine side coolant neck, and coolant. Have put about 10,000 miles on it since then.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
When you turn the ignition key to the on position without starting the car, do you hear the pump for a few seconds?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What’s weird is it was fine on Wednesday we touched nothing. Then today I go out to move it so we can pull the table saw out of the garage and now it’s broken.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What’s weird is it was fine on Wednesday we touched nothing. Then today I go out to move it so we can pull the table saw out of the garage and now it’s broken.
You found a broken vacuum line?
Old vacuum lines get very brittle and the cold weather will make them snap easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You found a broken vacuum line?
Old vacuum lines get very brittle and the cold weather will make them snap easily.
The one to the map sensor was already replaced as it broke before. I will check the EGR, evap canister, and brake booster lines tomorrow. (it’s dark and windy in PA currently) What other ones are needed to get it to run properly?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The one to the map sensor was already replaced as it broke before. I will check the EGR, evap canister, and brake booster lines tomorrow. (it’s dark and windy in PA currently) What other ones are needed to get it to run properly?
What year/car/engine is it?
89 Turbo 2.5 shadow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year/car/engine is it?
89 Turbo 2.5 shadow?
89 naturally aspirated TBI 2.5 shadow with 3 speed auto. I thought that you could see this info under my name. But if you can’t its good to know now so I don’t confuse others in the future.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
89 naturally aspirated TBI 2.5 shadow with 3 speed auto. I thought that you could see this info under my name. But if you can’t its good to know now so I don’t confuse others in the future.
Yes I saw that, but some here have multiple cars.
Here's some links for hose routings and other info that you can check:
1989 Dodge Shadow EGR System - Mopar Parts Giant
1989 Dodge Shadow Emission Hose Harness - Mopar Parts Giant
1989 Dodge Shadow Emission Labels Adjustments And Routing (moparpartsgiant.com)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts