Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Haven’t tried starting it today. Checked the recommended vacuum lines visually. They seem fine. Didn’t want to dig in to much in case I break something. Letting it air out for a couple days as I found about a 1/8 inch of gas in the intake (pic #2). Have a screwdriver pressing the pedal to the floor (pic #3). Also pulled the plugs to let the cylinders air out. #3 was cleaned about 5,000 miles ago all others were replaced around 10,000 (pic #3).
4ECA66E1-9432-43FC-A13C-E5DB76DCF063.jpeg
25F7A97C-CC13-432C-948C-9431B3823FDF.jpeg

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I would replace those plugs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are they that bad. The carbon just wipes of. It’s more like powder than a hard deposit.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Are they that bad. The carbon just wipes of. It’s more like powder than a hard deposit.
From the pic it looks like the electrodes are worn down.
The gaps look a bit too large also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have wiped them of with a dry paper towel. The book says that the gap is .0035 and the electrodes seem new.
7D764220-CC97-4D52-AD34-790E7D294C8B.jpeg

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
It must be the angle of the photo.
It looks like the last plug on the right has a wider gap.
Either way, yes the gap should be .035"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When it was cold (<50f) It would run very rich and it would sound / shake like it was down a cylinder. The exhaust would smell about half as gasy as a old mussel car. But after 5 minutes it would run nice and smooth with a slight surge (IACM / EGR problem?). But we just kinda lived with it for the past few months because it never got in the way of the car functioning.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
When it was cold (<50f) It would run very rich and it would sound / shake like it was down a cylinder. The exhaust would smell about half as gasy as a old mussel car. But after 5 minutes it would run nice and smooth with a slight surge (IACM / EGR problem?). But we just kinda lived with it for the past few months because it never got in the way of the car functioning.
This sounds like a question for NAJ
He's very detailed and procedural when figuring out a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
He has commented on some of my posts before. I am surprised he hasn’t showed up yet.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
Have not been home, just saw this...

Start here and post back...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also am experiencing a "no-start" condition on my '89 Lancer Shelby. A couple of weeks ago I had been driving it everyday, and on Sunday it was fine. The very next day on Monday morning, it started, but ran on only 2 cylinders.
I saw the check engine light come on, it was a DTC 27, fuel injector circuit not reaching expected voltage draw. Upon investigation, there was corrosion at the connections to the injectors. That was when I remembered that I had used Foamy Engine Brite and a garden hose to clean the motor about a month earlier. I am still working on it. I am checking the Auto Shutdown Relay because it appears that now I have no spark! Multiple failures?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Have not been home, just saw this...

Start here and post back...
I have codes
12 - battery recently disconnected (True, it was)

25 - (AIS) short in circuit, idle target missed, vacuumed leak (maybe causing the 200 rpm range surge at idle)

34 - speed control circuit open or shorted driver circuit (No idea. Is it a speed governor)

37 - part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver short (No idea.)

55 - end of codes

Don't see any that would prevent it from running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ran fine ween parked on Wednesday now (Saturday) doesn’t start. It will only crank, crank, crank, sputter, sputter, crank, crank, crank. Giving it more throttle doesn’t affect it. The fuel pump is working. It ran smooth ounce it would warm up if it was cold it would run quite rough but would always clean up. It’sso not colder than it has been for the past week. I could use some guidance as to what to check.
Look at timing belt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Should I clear the codes and try to start it? What would cause the codes to happen ie what broke?

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
None of those codes will create a no start condition, even if the AIS was at fault you should be able to keep the car running by feathering the throttle.
Code 34 is a Cruise Control circuit fault, if the car is not equipped with cruise the code has been there since day 1 since the wiring is still there.
Code 37 is for the "Lock Up" torque converter, again if the car is not equipped with a lock up torque converter the wiring may still be there from the factory.

Continue with the "No Start" diagnostics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok it doesn’t have cruse control so that code will be ignored.
What cars had a lock up converter? I would assume the turbo cars. (Mine is not a turbo car)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Non Turbos were lockup, Turbos got lockup in 1991

Lockup trans had an electrical connector near the dipstick.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: NAJ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good news! My Lancer Shelby runs again! The problem was the plug to the ECU had loosened up, which made me think that the Auto Shutdown Relay was not working properly. Also, the re-wired injectors are working great, my Boost gauge is showing 20 inches of vacuum at idle. I am sure glad the fuel pump is o.k. and we finally had a day with no rain.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts