41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Excellent News!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, Thanks. I bought the new electrical injector connectors from Rock Auto,and they were less than $5 each.
I like to buy some things at Autozone because members get $20 credit for every $100 spent, which happens pretty often since there is always something new I want to buiy --before the parts sources dry out! My old '89 Lancer Shelby is now a 32 year old car, and who knows how many miles-- because the odometer quit working around 200,000 miles. Now my advice is to not give up, and, if you stick with it, (the no-start condition), it will be solved! My old friend Hartwell loved to quote that old phrase, "Where there is a WILL, there is a WAY!"

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Non Turbos were lockup, Turbos got lockup in 1991

Lockup trans had an electrical connector near the dipstick.

Thanks
Randy
My car does have one based on your description. What does the code mean is happening to the torque converter?

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
The lock up torque converter issue/code will not create a "No Start" condition.

The code is saying that the solenoid circuit is open or shorted due based on voltage the controller is seeing when it attempts to actuate the solenoid.

A non functioning lock up solenoid will prevent the torque converter from " locking up" under no load cruise conditions which lowers engine rpm and improves fuel economy, it would be the same as 5th gear on a manual trans.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sometimes the TBI can start leaking gas at the seal between the top of the throttle body and the base of the throttle body. When this happens, raw gas gets past the injector and the motor runs rich. If you are getting good spark, then it is worth checking the Throttle body throat. On a motor with high mileage there is usually some carbon build-up, but if it is clean from the gasket down to the throttle plate it is a good bet that the TBI is leaking. I recently had this problem on my '91 Dodge Dakota. It has a naturally aspirated 2.5 like your Shadow. Also, the plugs have soot. What kind of oil do you use? A can of STP oil treatment can help with oil burning --- I usually buy Hyperlube Oil Treatment, Car Engine Oil Additive and Coolant Flush Products | Hy-per Lube because it is sold by the quart. Another good product that helps build compression is Engine Restorer with CSL! (Copper, silver, and lead in a fine powder) Purists might object to any "snake oil" additives, but IMHO, if the motor has high mileage you've got nothing to lose! Engine Restorer - FAQ (restoreusa.com)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
if it is clean from the gasket down to the throttle plate it is a good bet that the TBI is leaking.

What kind of oil do you use?

if the motor has high mileage you've got nothing to lose!
Just did the injector and that gasket as it was leaking oil (i know that sounds weird). It was because it had been miss-cut at the factory and was forming a lip that caught oil vapors from the pcv system. Chrysler’s stellar quality control for you.

Castro edge 10w30 full synthetic with Purolator Boss oil filter changed every 5,000 miles

It has 69,123.5 miles I don’t think that is a lot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I mean the gasket in the throttle body itself. As you can see in the photo you provided, it is clean as a whistle at the parting line between the upper part of the throttle body and the lower part. It is exactly as I expected! There is a gasket there that simply gives out with age, please remember that fuel injections uses a lot higher pressure than an old fashioned carburetor gasket! A throttle body rebuild kit is about $30 at Autozone and a complete throttle body assembly at a Pick'n'Pull could be $50 The second test is to look at the gas pooling in the intake manifold, and, finally, smell the oil; on the dipstick! If it smells like gas, then it is proof positive that the Throttle Body has been leaking all this time!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i know what one you are talking about and I have replaced it. That is what I was referring to in my earlier reply. The throttle body to intake manifold gasket is still original.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The 2 parts are also a much different texture. The upper part is a dirt trapping roughly cast aluminum part while the bottom is a very smooth machined aluminum. Also when the throttle is at idle a lot if the injections spray ricochets of the the throttle plate and hits the walls.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Once it is running again (as I am sure it will) I am going to start a new discussion on fixing the rich running issue.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
Did you run the no start diagnostics yet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Have been waiting for the week end. It’s here now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi. I joined the club in '03, but I have worked fixing these cars for many years before that. Here is an exploded drawing of the TBI. You need gasket #25. You need a #25 torx driver, in addition to a 13"mm wrench or socket. to access this gasket. I have had the same problem many times on many different Chrysler K-cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Did you run the no start diagnostics yet?
Currently have spark and fuel. It will sputter/run if you hold the throttle wide open. Going to play with the ignition timing and see if that helps.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
Are the spark plugs fouled?
Does the oil smell like fuel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Are the spark plugs fouled?
Does the oil smell like fuel?
The spark plugs may have been befor but they have been out for a week.

No, it could do with a change but why bother until it is running

Changing the ignition timing did not help.

Based on your list next is the Hall effect sensor. I am a bit confused by your directions on how to test it. A picture would be helpful.

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
If you have fuel and spark the HEP is not an issue, the controller is seeing a crank signal and actuating the ASD Relay as it should.

I am trying to determine how rich you actually are.
Your issue is going to related to...
Cam Timing
Fuel Pressure
Map Sensor Calibration

Map Sensors were a big problem on the TBI cars, replaced TON's of them on company leased vehicles back in the 80's, car would be towed in, I would get our known good Map Sensor, plug it in, start the car, drive the car into the bay and then call the leasing company for authorization for diagnostics.
We did so many after a while they just laughed and said..."I know, Map Sensor... 1/2 hr. Diagnostics, replace the Map Sensor, Plugs and change the oil.

By no means am I telling you to go buy a Map Sensor, I am suggesting you check the three possible causes I posted above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I don’t know why but
all I did was charge the battery because it had drained from the 8 or so minutes of combined trouble shooting and attempts at starting. It was around 9.75 volts when we plugged it in.
It is still running quite rich. I’m going to go and get a timing light and get it properly timed then make a another video of how it is running. That will be on a new discussion on (not so “turbo) dodge help”.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts