Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I was directed here by someone on a diff message board, Hope i'm not out of place or anything...

My mom has a 1989 Dodge Caravan SE (3.0/V6 Auto), We have had the car for awhile now. Since about 95? or 98... Somewhere in there i was still pretty young~heh.

Anyway,
Just recently my dad was driving the Van due to his car being worked on, And he went to turn into a parking lot and says he heard a "grinding clunking" noise and lost the (D)rive gear...
He managed to roll the van into a parking spot, Played around a bit with it and noticed he had no (R)everse as well.
He also noticed he was bleeding tranny fluids pretty heavily, So he went into the store and grabbed some fluid to put in it, Put it in (1)or(2) and drove it a block home bleeding fluids.

It now sits in the driveway in front of our house (Face forward... Great, No Reverse? have to work on it where it lies, or try and tow it out far enough into the street to go forward.

Mom pretty much accepts it as a Goner, Dad thinks it can be fixed but if it needs to go hes fine with it... I feel it can be fixed as well, just needs some time and work (which i have and can do if i have guidance).

The van is pretty fine mechanically and in straight shape (no accidents), already done a bunch of repairs to various things (dad did most of these).

Heres a more recent pic when i was changing out the drum brakes in the rear:

I'm really hoping i can save/fix it even if it wont last much longer, It's a bad time for it to go down, my T-Bird is under construction leaving dads volvo our only useable vehicle right now.

I'm really hoping i can fix her, I have plenty of time (However the weather isnt being so helpful), And i'm willing to put in the work if i'm able.
I know it costs over $1000 at a repair shop, so thats out of the question...

Just need to know what im working with here before i dive in...
I'm not exactly sure what transmission it has, i believe its a 3-speed (auto).

The only things i've done so far are tighten all the bolts to the trans oil pan (where it was bleeding) and that helped alot, Needs a new gasket for sure.
The started her up with no problems and tried column shifitng into (R)everse, there was no reaction whatsoever... I stepped on the gas and it kind of juggled the car and revved up, But only drippped fluids and made smoke out of the exhaust.
I then shifted over to (D)rive where it made the chasis jerk and a clunk (as if it went into gear hard), i revved and got a jerk followed by high revving and exhaust smoke/dripping.
I then noticed when i switched back over to (Reverse) it did the jerking clunk followed by a slight grinding and then just continued to make this kind of rotational rashing ticking noise~I didnt bother to rev it and shut her off.

What am i looking at here?
The (N), (1), (2) gears all seem to work fine...

Any help, Advice, Suggestion, Guidance, Etc, Appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

· Banned
1,701 Posts
Hello!
I was directed here by someone on a diff message board, Hope i'm not out of place or anything...

My mom has a 1989 Dodge Caravan SE (3.0/V6 Auto), We have had the car for awhile now. Since about 95? or 98... Somewhere in there i was still pretty young~heh.

Anyway,
Just recently my dad was driving the Van due to his car being worked on, And he went to turn into a parking lot and says he heard a "grinding clunking" noise and lost the (D)rive gear...
He managed to roll the van into a parking spot, Played around a bit with it and noticed he had no (R)everse as well.
He also noticed he was bleeding tranny fluids pretty heavily, So he went into the store and grabbed some fluid to put in it, Put it in (1)or(2) and drove it a block home bleeding fluids.

It now sits in the driveway in front of our house (Face forward... Great, No Reverse? have to work on it where it lies, or try and tow it out far enough into the street to go forward.

Mom pretty much accepts it as a Goner, Dad thinks it can be fixed but if it needs to go hes fine with it... I feel it can be fixed as well, just needs some time and work (which i have and can do if i have guidance).

The van is pretty fine mechanically and in straight shape (no accidents), already done a bunch of repairs to various things (dad did most of these).

Heres a more recent pic when i was changing out the drum brakes in the rear:

I'm really hoping i can save/fix it even if it wont last much longer, It's a bad time for it to go down, my T-Bird is under construction leaving dads volvo our only useable vehicle right now.

I'm really hoping i can fix her, I have plenty of time (However the weather isnt being so helpful), And i'm willing to put in the work if i'm able.
I know it costs over $1000 at a repair shop, so thats out of the question...

Just need to know what im working with here before i dive in...
I'm not exactly sure what transmission it has, i believe its a 3-speed (auto).

The only things i've done so far are tighten all the bolts to the trans oil pan (where it was bleeding) and that helped alot, Needs a new gasket for sure.
The started her up with no problems and tried column shifitng into (R)everse, there was no reaction whatsoever... I stepped on the gas and it kind of juggled the car and revved up, But only drippped fluids and made smoke out of the exhaust.
I then shifted over to (D)rive where it made the chasis jerk and a clunk (as if it went into gear hard), i revved and got a jerk followed by high revving and exhaust smoke/dripping.
I then noticed when i switched back over to (Reverse) it did the jerking clunk followed by a slight grinding and then just continued to make this kind of rotational rashing ticking noise~I didnt bother to rev it and shut her off.

What am i looking at here?
The (N), (1), (2) gears all seem to work fine...

Any help, Advice, Suggestion, Guidance, Etc, Appreciated. Thanks!!! :)

sounds like a blown up differential (very common) the only fix is to replace the entire transmission or replace the van all together

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not seeing any cracks on the case at all, it has stopped leaking fluids since i tightened the lower pan again.

The weather took a turn around (80+ degrees today, yikes)
So i went out and dived in a bit...

Mom and dad say it's a goner, and just dont care at this point... But i still think theres a small chance its fixable.

I went out, jacked it up, took off the drivers front wheel and mud guards, Faught off the differential cover and currently have 2 large gears exposed and a bunch of ugly tranny fluid drained.

I took a risk, (Not much to lose) and started her up with the diff cover off~And kind of stood outside of the car with my foot on the brake so i could see if anything was going on with the exposed gears.
A whole lot of nothing happened with my foot on the brake, heh. but when i let off the brake and had it in reverse or drive, the drivers front caliper would spin by itself along with the gears?... this is what the rotational grinding sound i was hearing was when it still had the wheels on and wasnt jacked up i assume.

I'll get a vid up of what its doing~Seems freaking odd to me but im not used to these setups at all.

Also i heard a clink in the tranny case like a bolt dropping on metal at one point... so im assuming something is loose in there somewhere.

I'm gonna dare to go further, and take the 2 large gears out/apart and see whats going on behind them.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bleh, this video is pretty bad.
Was distracted by firetrucks and stuff next store. :eek:

But you can see in the beginning i marked (yea yea, with black) paint pen where the gears meet.

and towards the end you can see the gears rotating out of sync with each other? is this normal? i'll try and get a better vid.
And again the rotation of the gears and caliper is in drive and/or reverse with my foot off the gas.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok heres a much better vid. (taking these my my digital cam, heh)

It made the clinking noise again during, and isnt rotating as much as it was before i started shooting the vids.

I announced each gear as i went through, hopefully you can hear it in the vid:

· Registered
30 Posts
That's not the diff, There really isn't anything behind those gears that are gonna help.
The diff cover is located on the back of the trans, You may or may not be able to pull that cover with the trans in, But that's where you need too look.

· Banned
1,701 Posts
I just got the lower pan cover off and found some nasty stuff:

Any idea what were looking at now?:

Theres tons of little pins, a few metal washers/rings? and scraps of either the casing or a gear.
Huh?! looks like the first person to reply told you the trans was junk. imagine that.

as for the gears being out of sync. OBVIOUSLY they would be, they are 2 different diameters with 2 different tooth counts.

now we are waiting for all you posts on the exact proceedure for you to remove and install this transmission. I just hope you don't decide to try and rebuild this one... without some expensive special tools forget that idea

· Registered
4,660 Posts
No, that thing is trash. Just find a replacement transaxle and swap it. You need just basic tools to do it. When you do find a replacement, pull the pan to make sure it does not have the same issues or burnt fluid before leaving the yard with it. Good luck.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright,
Thanks alot guys!

Sorry if i annoyed anyone... Yea, i'm not that dense, i was pretty positive it was a goner. :p
Just kept that tiny bit of hope alive that it may be something minor.

we will see now what the future of this car is...
I'm being shut down on the concept of a trans change, thats why i was pushing so hard towards fixing the one in it as it sets.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
Alright,
Thanks alot guys!

Sorry if i annoyed anyone...
No annoyance here. The pictures af carnage are well worth it.

BTW, This is why we weld our planetary gears.

This might be a great time for you to take the whole tranny apart and see how everything works.

If you really like the car, you can get a junkyard tranny for 100-150.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.