Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, the shadows rear brakes are junk. The drums are rusted to nothing, the shoes are prolly shot, and quite frankly I dont think they are doing much of anything. The brakes stop alright, but its kinda easy to lock them up. So I think Im just gonna replace the entire rear brake hardware.

Should I just get a rear drum assembly for a 92 shadow or is there something else I can get as an upgrade? Discs would be great and I would be willing to get those if the upgrade is not too involved. Also how much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump:

sorry, need to know before it gets too cold out. Id like to have fully functional brakes before winter.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To use the rear discs you need to swap over the whole rear axle, and the prop valve for your brakes at the least. I know you have to make the e brake work too since it's slightly different.

I would say stay with the drum brakes and rebuild them with good parts like new wheel cylinders, and brake lines if needed. Ofcourse new drums/shoes and hardware. I think the drum brakes weigh less too so that's less rolling resistance and weight on the rear of the car. They perform well with new parts just make sure they are adjusted properly and bled well.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You definitely don't need to swap the rear axle. You just need the backing plates/mounting brackets, rotors, calipers, pads and new flex hoses plus 2 sections of steel line with fittings. You also need the rear disc master cylinder. You can keep the stock prop. valve, I did that and I like the slight extra rear brake force. That is the way to go if you can afford all the parts and time you need to do it. If you are short on either just put new shoes/drums on the rear. And check all the lines for leaks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just put some new hardware on the back of my '86 Daytona CS. Personally, our cars are so light, I think discs might be a tad overkill. I'd love to have them, but the expense, time, and hassle is just not worth it to me. I have other projects that are a higher priority.

I ran down to the AutoZone and bought new drums and shoes. The rest of the hardware was fine. I also took the opportunity to clean out the rear bearings and greased everything back up.

I put a coat of paint on the drums so they won't rust in the first week, maybe they'll wait a month or so. I installed the new shoes and the new drums. I had to use a 2X4 to cushion the blow of the back side of my splitting maul to separate the hub from the original drum. I then bled the rear brakes lines. The color of the fluid coming out was disturbing. I then adjusted the parking brake and went out for a test drive to set things in. I was very happy with the feel of the brake pressure and how well the car stopped. The shoes I pulled off were darn near down to the rivets.

The one thing that I have to admit is that I hate drum brakes. I don't like working on them and they are far more difficult than working with discs. My interest in swapping to discs in the rear would simply be to eliminate the hassle of drum brakes. As I said earlier, I feel the drums are adequate for our cars. And installing the new drums and shoes is inexpensive and doesn't require fighting the bugs and snakes in a junk yard or shopping on eBay.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I will have a few conversion sets for 10" rears soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts