Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chrysler badge that sits on the rear hatch lever broke off the other day, I assume because it's been so darn cold and I went to the dealer to get a replacement.

It seems that you cannot get just the badge itself and pop it on but you have to replace the entire latch that comes with the badge...the retail, (sit down)...$103 US !!!!!! 8*

I looked at the parts guy and said maybe I'll just get some epoxy and do it myself. He just looked at me.

The best part is it is covered under warranty! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
This happened to one other person on this site.
The epoxy failed. There was also a question of some rust. Sand down the latch plate and clear the rust. The re-epoxy it and it should be fine.
Wasn't the finest bit of engineering they did
Here's the forum link:
Latch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they are going to install the entire latch piece which would probably entail taking the hatch apart to do so. :\

Hmmm, maybe I'll cancel the replacement and just epoxy the old one back on...the possibility of the dealer screwing things up even more is becoming a concern to me. 8*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,709 Posts
Comedy Cruiser said:
Hmmm, maybe I'll cancel the replacement and just epoxy the old one back on...the possibility of the dealer screwing things up even more is becoming a concern to me. 8*
Sounds like a dandy opportunity to shave it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
basset hound said:
If you look carefully you'll notice that it's attached at the factory with hot glue. 8* 8o
So, if the dealer replaces the whole thing, won't you simply be getting a new hot glued assembly; to come off again sometime in the future?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CHRUZIN said:

So, if the dealer replaces the whole thing, won't you simply be getting a new hot glued assembly; to come off again sometime in the future?
Yep, and I'm worried that a problem will arise from them putting a new latch on.

I gotta ask, if I shave the latch off the rear hatch, how they heck do I open the door since there's no remote release on the darn thing? I often wondered what the purpose was, other than aesthetics, for shaving door latches and such. ?:|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,709 Posts
Comedy Cruiser said:


I gotta ask, if I shave the latch off the rear hatch, how they heck do I open the door since there's no remote release on the darn thing? I often wondered what the purpose was, other than aesthetics, for shaving door latches and such. ?:|
You just use an door popper that works in tandem with the rear hatch's electric release. When you press the button to "unlock" the boot, the door popper "pops" it partly open. Slick.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
JOEM said:


You just use an door popper that works in tandem with the rear hatch's electric release. When you press the button to "unlock" the boot, the door popper "pops" it partly open. Slick.

OK~I'm confused!! My rear hatch doesn't have a separate opener, which means that when you want to unlock all the doors, that latch will pop open every time? 8*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,456 Posts
Comedy Cruiser said:
I gotta ask, if I shave the latch off the rear hatch, how they heck do I open the door
Remote control!!



;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,709 Posts
KatsKruizin said:

OK~I'm confused!! My rear hatch doesn't have a separate opener, which means that when you want to unlock all the doors, that latch will pop open every time? 8*
Yup, unless you go with a separate control for the rear hatch. Some folks just toss the original setup and install cool solenoid door openers with buttons for each door and trunk/hatch. Now, that's super slick! :x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JOEM said:


Yup, unless you go with a separate control for the rear hatch. Some folks just toss the original setup and install cool solenoid door openers with buttons for each door and trunk/hatch. Now, that's super slick! :x

...I imagine super expensive!? 8*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,424 Posts
JOEM said:


Yup, unless you go with a separate control for the rear hatch. Some folks just toss the original setup and install cool solenoid door openers with buttons for each door and trunk/hatch. Now, that's super slick! :x
8o Whoa that WOULD be cool!! :D Don't get me thinkin' or I will be going to the bankruptcy court all because of a car!!! 8*
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top