Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Rear Aluminum 1 Piece Louvers for a 86 Turbo Z C/S with a Window Wiper.

From what I understand there isn't a factory louver if theres a rear wiper. I just bought a set and it doesn't fit. I only paid $40 for shipping through UPS from Ohio to Albany, NY.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There are aftermarket plastic louvers that are supposed to work with the rear wiper. I haven't seen any in years and they weren't very straight.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had to jump in on this one. I'm staring right at my 86 Z with louvers on it right now. It has 11 slats. It fits perfectly. I think if it had the 12 it would get in the way of the rear spoiler. It must be for models with out the rear spoiler. I.E. the base models possibly.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I had to jump in on this one. I'm staring right at my 86 Z with louvers on it right now. It has 11 slats. It fits perfectly. I think if it had the 12 it would get in the way of the rear spoiler. It must be for models with out the rear spoiler. I.E. the base models possibly.

if that faint grey line I see across the top is the plastic trim around the window then your's are to far back on the glass - you should not be able to see the trim like that

the 12th slat at the bottom fills the gap between the spoiler and the louver , you cannot see through under the 12 th slat because of the spoiler

the set you have there are either for the wing style spoiler or an 87 &^

the curve at the bottom corner is also odd

my 12 slat set were bought new by me back in the day for an 86 with the wrap around spoiler

I did use a different style of hinge but that did not change the position they sit on the hatch

if I weren't stiitng here in my house coat I'd pop out and grab a pic lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just thinking about it. Why would the top mounts be curved on the outside for the contour of the glass? If it were higher it would be right on the paint.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
not if the flippy part of the hinge is diff between the two
question is though IS that the window trim I see above the louver at the top ?

'cause from that angle you should not be able to see it

also , if they were the 87 &^ louver the gap to the spoiler would appear wider

this makes me think you have a set for lazer / daytona with the wing as the front edge of the wing would interfer with the 12th slat

now , it's entirely possiable that the flippy part of the hinge for louvers on a wing car may have been diff because the HUGE gap you get when you put the 87 &^ louvers on an 86 Z looks retarded

this gap would be wider than it appears to be on your car

I have both sets 84-6 & 87&^ - I can post pics later

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
ok here we go , pics

yes , I used the hinges that came with them to allign them on the car before I drilled the holes in the hatch for the hinges I used

these ARE the correct part number louvers for an 84-6 turbo z , I ordered them myself from the dealership back when I built the car

note you cannot see the window suround trim at the top and there is absolutely no gap to the spoiler

I suppose these would work on a non spoiler option car too but they for sure won't fit on a car with the wing instead

my 87 &^ set are cut square at the bottom corner with no radius , even with the rear edge of what would be the second slat up on the one in the pic here , sooo , I would very strongly have to presume your's are actually for a car with a wing - though they do look ok as installed

I'm pretty sure now , that your hinges must have a diff moveable part from mine that positions them slightly further back than these or the 87 &^ set

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
ah , that pic could have saved a lot of discussion , the hinge isn't all the way up to the trim - that explains the placement on the hatch lol

I didn't like the paste on deal so much , coupled with the fact that all the glue kits (3 + the kit that came with them) the dealer ordered were dryed out at the time , gave me reason to look for a diff mounting method

a buddy was scraping his bronco II , his brother had smashed out the back window and the hinges were just flaping in the breeze
I thought hummm , took em off and to my great joy discovered the spaceing for the screw holes where they mounted to the bronco hatch was exactly the same as the 2 screw holes in the top slat at each side
a little redsigning and fiddleing and I had a deal that could never peel off - ever

the part you see in my pics above the louver was orig bolted to the bronco back glass the parts bolted under the slat went to the hatch of the bronco above the window weather strip

when I pulled the top inside trim off the hatch of my car I even found a round allowance in the inner hatch frame that was exactly on center with the holes I needed to drill in the hatch

and because they were orig bolted to glass there was a rubber body gasket that went between the metal parts and the bronco window - so they trimed out just like the door handles with the gasket under them

was just ment to be I guess

there's a sticky in the exterior section explaining how I did it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys I lost internet for a couple days. I found a guy selling these Kobel Louvers new in the box for a 86 Daytona w/wiper. He said they found them in their garage. He said they were dropped on the drivers side bottom and put a ripple in the bottom louver, so he took some pics to show me. He said they are repairable. He said he could box them and ship for a total of around $160. What you think?

-I noticed in the pics there are only four actual louvers from the bottom up. I'm going to have to ask them if they are 2 pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dr. Johny i did check out your sticky on the bronco hinges. Thats is a really awesome idea and looks good. But as far for me I kinda liking to stickibg to orignal with this car even though it is a turbo Z, that doesnt have louvers. If I did a mod like that I would have to buy another hatch, then drill lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts