Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Daytona Shelby 2.2 TII
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the rear main seal.... '89 daytona Shelby 2.2. I bought a FELPRO seal. The FSM says to use Anerobic sealant on the seal prior to install. However the instructions for this seal says don't. Anybody know why? Should I use sealant anyway?

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Because the FSM was written in 1989 and the seal uses newer chemicals/coatings/technology.

When in doubt, go straight to the horses mouth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replacing the rear main seal.... '89 daytona Shelby 2.2. I bought a FELPRO seal. The FSM says to use Anerobic sealant on the seal prior to install. However the instructions for this seal says don't. Anybody know why? Should I use sealant anyway?
The seal instructions say not to lubricate the seal lip or the crankshaft. The FSM is telling you to apply sealant to the ouside of the seal casing which fits into the engine block or casting. You should follow both instructions.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Agree, and anaerobic sealer on the block side of the seal retainer if it gets removed.

Same for front and intermediate shaft seal retainers.

Anaerobic is not sloppy old silicone!!

Its specifically for those spots.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1989 Daytona Shelby 2.2 TII
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i took the housing off the block, popped the old seal out, put new one in, reinstalled the housing (with the new seal installed) in the block using Anaerobic sealant.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Seems like --- you got it Pontiac!!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts