Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like no aftermarket options are currently being offered and the Mopar 4271393’s are long gone NS1. The M/AM body rear shocks use same lower M10x1.5 stud mount, washers & bushings, but use a 1/2-13 bolt/nut for the top eye bushing as opposed to the Rampage/Scamp, which uses an m10-1.5. So in theory you could use M-body shocks and either a bushing over the top mount bolt, or drill out the hole in the unibody rail to accept a 1/2” bolt and have replacement shock options available! Idk if anyone else has already found replacement shocks that work, just figured I’d share this FYI! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s weird that a guy there said you could use Dynasty shocks, when they use the same rear shocks as all non L-bodies and have an eyelet on each end and not one eyelet and one stud as a Rampage uses...

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I haven't gotten to that stage in my Rampage restoration, so I can't personally confirm this application. However, you're welcome to message him and see if he could address your concerns. I've seen his Rampage, and it does have a slightly aggressive stance to it's profile.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't gotten to that stage in my Rampage restoration, so I can't personally confirm this application. However, you're welcome to message him and see if he could address your concerns. I've seen his Rampage, and it does have a slightly aggressive stance to it's profile.
Aggressive stance, or not I just don’t see how they’d bolt in. Being that they use completely different styles of lower mounting attachments. And as far as being concerned, I don’t personally own a “Smaller Hauler” although I’d love to, this was just an FYI I discovered, so I figured I’d share the info.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Thanks for pointing this flaw out to me. I will certainly keep that in mind when I get to this part.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
John, I tried searching for that username, but came up short. If you can find that post and put a link to it, I would really appreciate it. If this works, it would give a lot more options.

This may seem like a stupid question, these are for the rear shocks, right? If so, I could also use input for the front struts as well.

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There was a post from Mccaandr and he said that shocks for a Volare or Aspen will work:

I believe the shocks are the same for all years of the Volare/Aspen. I have KYB KG5546 Gas-A-Just shocks on mine and they have worked well.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=502927&cc=1069781&jsn=452

Maybe so???
That is literally THE P/N of the rear shock pictured and discussed in my 1st post...

As far as front struts & mounts go, you can still buy those new on RockAuto, idk if they’re listed under your particular application, or not, but if not just look up a different more common L-Body like an Omni. The only front springs Moog still offers for L-Bodies are CC706 and CC716, you can look up the specs and see which ones are to your liking, but either will work.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for your help MarkassBauer! A little confusion with the Dynasty shocks I guess. More info on this site can only
help us when we need it... I hadn't gotten to my suspension yet, still dealing with the engine. I have noticed that my
front right strut is all rusted. More fun to be had!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The possible original OEM Part number may be 4228039. The Nevada Dealership supposedly has two of them. I'll probably go with the option of drilling out the eye hole to 1/2" since the dealer wants $84+ for a single rear shock. Try these two phone numbers (402) 245-2471 or (610) 863-6900 if you want the over priced OEM Parts. Be sure to post the extended length, compressed length, and stroke length for the OEM shock specs if you find them for comparison (I wasn't able to find OEM specs when I searched for them. Hopefully, I'll get that when they call me back). The alternate shock option KYB KG5546 numbers are: extended length = 17.72", compressed length = 11.02", and stroke length = 6.69". Happy hunting and God bless for sharing. Does Gabriel make an option for these shocks? They're usually a good cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the ONLY stocked pair of the NS1 shocks according to DealerConnect. As far as aftermarket shock absorbers, there is absolutely NO substitution for KYB monotubes.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
For anybody looking for direct swaps on these cars, look for the late 1970's Dodge Diplomat (not Dynasty). They will fit right into the cars and work great. Gabriel struts are still available for those cars and they have been working great on a street truck like mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts