Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Turbo 5 Speed for my wife. How do you get the top bolt off the rear shocks? I can't get a socket on the front side because it is to tight of a space and a regular wrench won't work on it either. I need something to hold the nut while I use a socket to turn the bolt to loosen it.

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
if the nut you refer to is in the wheel well I think you need to modify a wrench

...it's been a looong time since I did that job so I might be thinking of something else sorry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is up in the wheel well and no way to access from the hatchback. Looked and the wheel well is solid. I thought maybe I had to have a special wrench. May have to modify a wrench to make it work.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ran into this a few times. While I don't remember the shock's nut size (13mm maybe?), what I did was slide a 3/8" drive socket onto the nut and then used a wrench adapter. Harbor Freight sells a 3-pack of "socket caps" for $3.99. Snap the proper adapter into the 3/8 drive socket and you can then grab and hold it with a 9/16" wrench. Works like a charm.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-square-drive-socket-caps-67011.html

Wrench adapter.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was not able to find the square adapter for the socket at my local stores. They where going to have to order it. Went and found these and they worked. The bolt and nut are 15mm the 5/8 fit on it and was able to hold it enough to get it off. The sockets have a hex end to them. Was able to work the socket up into it and on the nut. Then it stuck out just enough for me to get a wrench on it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts