Turbo Dodge Forums banner
301 - 320 of 373 Posts
Discussion starter · #301 ·
UPDATE: 4 July 2017

Still waiting on rear axle for the car. Should be soon.

I'll see about getting copies of the prints.

$3,300 is very fair since I've probably spent $40-50,000 building both cars and 3 to 4 variations of the cross members to get to this stage.

If folks want to run any other engine trans combo different than a new Hemi I'm sure the cross members can be modified, but that will be on them. I do plan on building the next car with a 6.4 Hemi and a automatic so I'll at least have trans cross members for both T56 manual and newer auto trans, although I'm not sure which auto trans I'll use at this time.

Tom

Will this kit work on other models? I'm looking into doing something different with an extra Rampage I have. I'm guessing since the Rampage has Leaf Springs in the rear, it will not need the rear cross member?

Discussion starter · #303 ·
T_J-S,

Good question, unfortunately I believe the Rampage is based on the L body, which is different than P, G, and J bodies so none of the designs I have will work.

However; you are correct you could use the leaf springs you have and set up a rear axle using them. I would look at how the leaf springs are anchored in to ensure the uni-body is strong enough to handle torque, but otherwise they should work.

The front will be another story. You'll have to figure something out.

Tom

Discussion starter · #304 ·
UPDATE: 24 AUG 17

Picking up the car from East Coast Gear Supply tomorrow. It took a lot longer than we thought, but most of the time was spent using a data logging machine to map out the chassis and cross members in the car.

Tom

Discussion starter · #307 ·
UPDATE: 24 SEP 2017

Car runs awesome! The new axle/differential is MUCH quieter and makes for a really enjoyable car to drive. Since I have a stock 92 and 88 car, which I also drive it always amazes me how much this car still feels like a Daytona, but goes like a Hellcat!! Additionally, it has all the manners of a car you can drive everyday.

Chase has the 88 Daytona and will be making the rear kit between now and JAN. Once he is done with the rear we'll start on the front. It's the best I can do financially to pay for this in phases.

The car made it into the DEC issue of Mopar Muscle "readers rides"!! Although they didn't put the "a" on Daytona, I figure most folks will figure it out.

Hope all is well and appreciate the folks who are still stopping by after all this time!

Respectfully,
Tom

Discussion starter · #310 ·
LaserDad,

Nothing new to report. I didn't expect to make much progress until JAN. In order to keep costs down the way ECGS and I left things was get the rear cross member done by JAN then I'll remove my front cross member for them to make a fronts. Also EGCS has the 1988 Daytona I left there to test fit cross members into.

I will keep you posted and thank you for checking in!!

Tom

Discussion starter · #311 ·
UPDATE: 22 DEC

All,

Reached out to ECGS last week. They have not even started building a rear cross member for the 87 Daytona I left there to confirm fitment on.

All I can say is I genuinely appreciate the group of you that has patiently waited. Honestly the state of affairs in the world today has keep me pretty busy in my "day job" so I just haven't had a lot of extra bandwidth to keep pushing this project. All that said a promise is a promise and we will get there. My goal is to at least get the rear kit available for purchase before I deploy again.

Thanks again
Tom

Tom, it's good to know that we have people like you serving our country. If by chance, ECGS doesn't come through, can we get any details of dimensions, etc? I would prefer to make this more of an assembly project, than a design and fabricate type, and your setup looks to be the best I've seen.

I don't plan to start my conversion for two years, but would like to start acquiring the items needed. Do you have a detailed list of the items? I saw the one on post# 74, but it will require some research to figure out exactly what each part is. I know you don't have time to create one, but I'm hoping you already have them on a spreadsheet. You seem to be a detail type guy, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Discussion starter · #314 ·
LaserDad,

Good to hear from you and happy holidays.

I have a build book and have a spreadsheet, I'll consolidate everything together once we have something for you all. I'm in complete agreement, I've always wanted this to be something you all can buy and bolt first. The rear will still require some welding for frame connectors, rear crossmember, and shock crossmember, but they will bolt in first to take out all the "math". Also agree that when you get the crossmember you get a parts list; however I fully understand some folks will want to do their own thing with regard to brakes, axles, etc and that's okay too. The key first step is getting EGCS to formalize the "blueprint" so we can consistently reproduce the crossmembers.

Tom

Discussion starter · #316 ·
UPDATE: 27 FEB 2018

Wow what a journey... found a fabricator today to make the kits a reality. Meeting next weekend to show the car and develop a build plan. Also will be bringing the 88 test car from ECGS to the new fabricator to test fit parts. It was unfortunate ECGS bowed out, but have a great read on this fabricator and his shop is a lot closer.

So as soon as we have a plan we'll be emailing the folks who have already reached out and shown and interest to put you in contact with the fabricator and provide a timeline.

Here we go...

Thanks for hanging in there
Tom

Discussion starter · #318 ·
Millerman32703,

Thanks, me too. Unfortunately the fabricator I spoke to on the phone was not the same fabricator I envisioned. At this time it's a two bay operation with a MIG welder, not exactly what I was hoping for.

The search continues.

Bottom line I'll find somebody, but I'm not just going to drop a $30K and 4+yr investment off with just anyone to make duplicates. I also am not going to ship the car halfway across the U.S. since I've already tried to long distance thing and whether it's cars or girls it never really works out!

I'll keep you all posted and completely understand if you move on to another project and or give up on this one entirely.

Tom

I don't know if I had posted this at all, but, the 300C I had that was going to donate the motor had to be sold when I hurt my knee, and was out of work for a while two years ago. I'm still watching this project closely and wish I could contribute in some way.

Millerman32703,

Thanks, me too. Unfortunately the fabricator I spoke to on the phone was not the same fabricator I envisioned. At this time it's a two bay operation with a MIG welder, not exactly what I was hoping for.

The search continues.

Bottom line I'll find somebody, but I'm not just going to drop a $30K and 4+yr investment off with just anyone to make duplicates. I also am not going to ship the car halfway across the U.S. since I've already tried to long distance thing and whether it's cars or girls it never really works out!

I'll keep you all posted and completely understand if you move on to another project and or give up on this one entirely.

Tom
Keep us posted tom, I finally reactivated my old page instead of millerman32703 There was to much time invested in the forum to start over..

301 - 320 of 373 Posts