Turbo Dodge Forums banner
341 - 360 of 373 Posts
Discussion starter · #341 ·
440 Daytona,

Thanks for the note. Everything developed to date is for the new Hemi, but when USCT starts making cross members I'm sure they could work with you. Still planning on sending them my car in June and having them use it as a reference to make kits.

I'll add your contact info to the list I've been keeping and will provide to John at USCT to keep you posted.

Best wishes
Tom

Discussion starter · #343 ·
Team,

We have reached a milestone! John at US Car and Tool in NC is ready to receive the Daytona and start making kits. I've contracted to have the 1990 Daytona (completed car) and the 1988 (test fit car), along with the 1992 (pure stock car) shipped to USCT to begin the process of jigging up the design on the 1990, making some refinements, and then making them available to all of you who have patiently waited.

This has been a very long road for me. I'm passionate about delivering on a promise to make kits available. I'm giving John 100% ownership of the design and any proceeds that result from your purchases. I say that to say I've never been in this for the money just the joy of the hobby and being a part of the team.

All of you that have contacted me I hope you don't mind I've saved your information and will provide it to John to keep you informed.

I'm very excited to hand this journey over to John and feel he will be a great steward of the product. Please contact John at USCT for follow on details! Link to his website below.

Best wishes,
Tom

Tom, this is very good news!! I hope that John can make a profit while giving the community a great product at a fair price, but if at some point in the future, it is no longer worth his while, I strongly encourage you to take it open source. By having the CAD files on Thingiverse (or similar site), we can all contribute, download, test, and build (or take to a shop who can do the work). This all leads to accelerated development and in many cases a better product than if it were just one person or a small group working on their own. That said, I won't deny the cons though I think the pros outweigh them. Just to name two, you give up some control over your IP, and you have to find alternate ways of monetizing it if you don't want to just give it away.

Kicking the tires here on a 5 month old thread, but just curious how the progress is coming on the kit from John at US Car and Tool in NC is coming along?? Newbie here who recently purchased an 89 Daytona and 88 Daytona. Have all the drive train gear (360 engine, transmission, 8.75 rear end) to drop in but need advice/guidance on a kit for the front to get started. Internet isnt providing much info except 17 year old threads. Thank you and hope to hear from all of you

Discussion starter · #349 ·
Things are going well, John still has my completed car, he had to finish a couple of 69 Daytonas prior to digging into my car to use as a template for making cross members. You can reach out to John directly or call me if you want some of my experiences as a guy who already built 2x RWD Daytona's.
I'm in the middle of building a regular cab short bed 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon - lot's of videos on Youtube under "tom allard" and most of the videos are loaded on my webpage: allardfabrications.com. Those that know the Power Wagon features will know that making a shorter version of it will only enhance it's off road abilities.

Lastly, I'm thinking of selling my 1990 RWD Daytona featured in this build. Once John is done with the car I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I'm also selling my 100% rust free 1992 clone RT Daytona (I pulled all the power train from a rusty RT - not Iroc RT, RT as in V6 5-speed) to put into a mint rust free TN car - it's listed on marketplace.
I just have other interests and could use the cash for my next build, my daily drivers are a 2019 Power Wagon and 2019 Scat Pack widebody 6-speed Challenger so I've gotten spoiled. I will have the 2006 Power Wagon done within a month, which will become my daily, can't wait! My next build is on it's way, a pristine 1969 383 non-RT nor SE Charger that I'm going to do a Hellcat 6-speed and Reilly suspension swap. Perfect platform that won't upset purists, but will absolutely stretch the bank since those motors can be pricy.
Well, probably more of an answer than you expected, look forward to hearing from you. If you complete the conversion you will not be disappointed. The 1990 in this build is an absolute rocket! One of the fastest cars I've driven and I've had Hellcat Challengers and a Trackhawk. Of course Trackhawk was hands down the quickest from a standstill, but this Daytona would out corner and from a rolling start would crush both in a race, plus the Daytona is a drivers car, meaning no gadgetry to save your butt so you have to point before you press the gas!
Best wishes,
Tom
937-232-7611

Tom, it sounds like you are out of the Army and living civilian life. I am retiring at the end of the month, but still have my two cars to finish before I can work on a RWD Laser. If John doesn't come through with the RWD conversion kit, would it be possible to get the dimensions? As detail oriented as you seem to be, I'm sure you documented them.

Discussion starter · #351 ·
LaserDad,

Not yet (retired)... I'm currently commanding 326 Brigade Engineer Battalion, 1BCT, 101st, it keeps me busy for sure. Nothing like going to Air Assault school at 50, luckily I'm still in decent shape! We will see what happens after this.
Absolutely, happy to give you dimensions, but I'm confident John will follow through, he seems genuinely excited about the project and has all the right equipment to do small production runs.
Always good to hear from you, as always, best wishes.
Tom

INSATANSSEAT,

We are close. I immediately started working on the car once I got it home so the passion is still there. I plan to sort all the little things out on this car and drive it for awhile before I re-engage with fabricators. Just need a break from that right now.

Interestingly enough I found this company on Ebay that has a manifold that folks can use either way. Link below. As with anything there is a tradeoff when moving away from the long runners in the factory manifold we'll give up some torque, but pretty sure the car will still feel fast. With the hotwire integration harness Chris makes it easy. Send him the Daytona harness then literally plug everything in. The 66 Charger and the 1st Daytona both used a hotwire harness and were fine, I'm sure this is something minor.

OCPerformance Parts, LLC. - EFI testing on a 2005 Chrysler 300c Early 5.7L

Thanks for the encouragement! Always appreciate your posts, great to hear from you.

Tom

Still waiting on this kit. I still have my 86 turbo laser from high school. It's been languishing. I never really wanted the laser (being the bratty teen I was). I wanted a manual and a v8... you know the things to get a teen killed, lol. But my mom at the time knew a guy who was willing to sell it to me on the cheap (a 6 year old car at the time). I think I paid 6 or 700 for it. I've owned many muscle cars since, but kind of forgot about the laser. But now, my dream car is just so expensive (71 340 cuda) I don't think i'd drive it if I did happen to buy one. So I got the interest to do a v8 swap on the laser since its been with me for almost 30 years. Hoping to see this kit materialize! I'm a definite buyer.

LaserDad,

Not yet (retired)... I'm currently commanding 326 Brigade Engineer Battalion, 1BCT, 101st, it keeps me busy for sure. Nothing like going to Air Assault school at 50, luckily I'm still in decent shape! We will see what happens after this.
Absolutely, happy to give you dimensions, but I'm confident John will follow through, he seems genuinely excited about the project and has all the right equipment to do small production runs.
Always good to hear from you, as always, best wishes.
Tom

My son has just been gifted a 92 Daytona. Needs a lot of work and I cant seem to find parts that i like but i know how to weld and fabricate and build motors. If you have the dimensions in an easily email-able format would you be so kind as to shoot it over to me to save some time as I plan on just dropping a carbed and stroked magnum 360 in it. I doubt I would be able to afford a kit from USCT. I am a veteran too so congratulations on the retirement sir. Any help would be appreciated and in no way will anything be used for profit, just building a car with my son.

Beautiful Daytona RWD Hemi edition conversion, I have a stock steel tank from an 84' if you ever need it, complete w/ straps, 2 pumps (the TBI, and the multi-point V-6 or turbo, both are used but working with new sock screens, and with an adjustable regulator, the pump pressure on both were upped from standard 40-45 PSI and each ran 70-73 PSI reliably through the stock 3/8" steel factory line and back to tank through the smaller 5/16" return line, a perfectly working and accurate sending unit. I THE 84 TBI Pump came factory in the tank in Feb 85, as well as the gas level sender, and in 94 I replaced just the pump motor, and the float foam on sender. The Turbo/V-6 pump I purchased dealer parts over counter new in 96, just experimenting w/ my single injector TBI, playing with much higher than stock injectors and pressures like I said upwards of 70 PSI. The car itself is an NHRA Stocker that started life as my Mother's dealer brand new purchased daily driver in SoCal in Feb 85 (3rd week Dec 84 factory build, then at 73K we bought it in March 93 (moved to N.W., AZ, so car has zero rust), found out it ran dead stock near the index in 93 before we left CA in Summer 95, turned it into a highway driving stock Elim. Car I campaigned all year in 95 coast to coast and back again (National, Div., and some bracket racing), ran it at select local west coast only Nat./Div. Events in 96-97, then car sat in our garage exactly 25 yrs, now finally being turned into a full on fully prepped Stocker to go out and complete the dream in twilight years. Just finished the -275 lb. Car diet Removed rust free Tank, filler neck cap 3 screws, the original pump, turbo/V6 pump, Fuel gauge sending unit, (and have inside tank pics), straps. Used to run 10 gals race gas in tank minimum, so smaller fuel cell in spare tire well installed (like a mini of what you did), are you covering that poly cell to protect it from road debris with Alum. .035" Or steel .025"?
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Fixture Gas Machine Circle Paint

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Machine tool Nut

Automotive lighting Amber Wood Rectangle Paint

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Fixture Gas Automotive tire Machine Auto part

Electrical wiring Wood Gas Motor vehicle Water bottle

Motor vehicle Table Gas Rim Nut

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Nut

Hood Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

Replaced it with a 5 gal poly cell much like your much larger cell and a bulkhead above it, just thought on your next edition, you could use my good parts, as you are removing the entire spare tire well, and no doubt filling in steel floor above, making the hanger slots, adding 2 hanger bolts through the floor, you could still utilize the filler tube and door, with a lil' fab work and welding to the filler neck, and just relocate the tank rearward of it's original location.

Either way, both of us created a Ford Pinto situation only mine is strictly track use now, maybe a drag and drive event or 2.

Just a thought as I would hate to see good parts go to waste, and that tank will never go back in this car. 14 gal. Tank( need to ck my book on stock capacity).yup, 14 gal.

Need it? I am in N.W., AZ, and KS shipping not too much, any or all, I will give you a better price than that cell alone, just to get it out of my garage and regain the floor space.

Have other dieting items too Full 84' HVAC under dash box, and all underhood heater valves, by-pass line, full exhaust and cat for 2.2L from head to stern. Stock transaxle converter. All 2.2L engine plastics, air box and bracket, bolts, L.R. tail light very minor corner chip, numerous 84' TBI ECU's all good rebuilt, and 1 Underhood 84' TBI Power Module (when I go Holley, I have a brand new PM I just installed purchased new at Parts Geek a month ago, and a brand new ECU purchased 10 yrs back, still warranteed a year from install I am ready to install (may just go All Holley sooner), but as each has different Rev. Limits I have collected them. 84' Saginaw P.S. pump and bracket/bolts. And the AC compressor and condensor, etc., and a full set of wiper motor, arms and hardware, from the behind engine bay to windshield, a stock set of FWD auto transaxle 3.23 gear ratio side case gears for the stock gearing, all parts worked just before the removal Jan 10, 2022 to Aug 2022, (AC, and exhaust manifold, cat, gears removed in late 93, at 72K miles, the rest removed at 92,800 Miles).

Man, a 5.7 hemi in a RWD Conversion any year 80's-90's Daytona is like a dream car for a badass street ride. The body's perform well converted for track use with any big block, and it looks like you are doing fantastic on the conversion and packing the engine bay full of power. If the coals are poured to it, look for no ring and pinion issues from the Dana, but 8-3/4" axle splines watch those for twisting as that hemi makes as much torque as any 383/440 did.

What will the kit eventually run, adding everything you added?

Not for mine per se, but Daytona's come up in your year range some, free for the haul away and I have time in the future, so that project would be fun in kit form.

Slow sled to fire breathing monster in a flash of cash, and a lot of work.

I sent an email to John over US Car and Tool Motorsports, asking about these.. waiting to see if I get an response.. I'll update here if I do.

341 - 360 of 373 Posts