Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored on my day off so I decided to do an experiment on one of my wheels.
I have been getting annoyed with the way the original finish is looking.
The clear coat was just messing up and I guess where the wheel weights used to be were messing up the wheel.
Well I decided to just try one wheel today to see if I like the way it turns out before I do the whole set.

Well this is what I did in order:
1.cleaned wheels off
2.sprayed aircraft remover on all surface to remove all paint
3.placed index cards around where the tire meets the wheel
4.sprayed primer (2 coats)
5.sprayed duplicolor stainless steel paint (3 coats)
6.sprayed clear coat (3 coats)

I wish I could have kept the polished lip but they were so messed up before it wouldnt have looked good.

Ill say now this wheel isnt perfect. Like I said this was just kinda like a experiment. Next time Ill be doing the proper sanding and everything like that.

Overall I am satisfied with the way the color. What do you guys think?

Its not a huge difference but now the wheel actually looks nice and OE style.

In order:














Passenger side rear wheel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Nice crabs! My outer wheels are also scarred from the wheel weights. Worst idea ever mounting them on the outside.

But yeah I think they turned out beautifully!
 

·
CoupleOvans
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
When I redid my lace wheels I did the same basic steps but progressively sanded the lip from 220 up to 1500 to keep the polished lip. I then taped the lip and painted the wheel, removed the tape and wiped the lip with alcohol before clear coat. Worked well for keepi the polished lip.

Just an idea, they look really nice as is though.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top