Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a new motor and have only ran it maybe 40 miles.....how long should i run regular motor oil before i go to synthetic 5w/30....or is there a specific wieght or preference to these motors......oh i have a 2.2 turbo

·
Administrator
25,001 Posts
800-1000 miles should be sufficent for break in before switching to synthetic.
Chrysler specifies 10W-30 for our vehicles for most normal weather/temperature conditions
Until recently I ran 5W-30 Mobil 1 for 20 years in my Daytona so I was sure to get immediate oil flow to the cam and turbo.
Now with 147,000 miles she is using a little oil so I switched to Mobil 1 10W-30, I still only chasnge the oil once a year.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One thing you might want to look at is the ZDDP and Phosphorus content in the oil you are using. If you have a slider cam, these two things can greatly reduce cam and rocker wear. Most oils have had these reduced because of new emission regulations and the new catalytic converters. Mobil 1 is one of the many oils that they reduced the amount of these additives. The 15W-50 still has higher ZDDP and phosphorus, but the other weights have been reduced. The Valvoline VR racing oil, which is available in 10W-30, still has the higher levels, as do most oils designated for diesel engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts