Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 reliant 2.5 automatic and would like to put the motor and tranny in an 86 omni. Omni has a 2.2 n/a automatic. Will this swap work. Im wondering about the axles.

Before i make the swap i will send the 2.5 head, manifold and exhuast to the machine shop for porting.

Would like to get your input on what would you do and without using a turbo.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
353 Posts
We did the same with Matchbox. Since it is apart I suggest you pull the balance shafts and plug the oilling hole. Also, this is a great time to pull out the rods and pistons.....check them out, balance them, and lighten up the rods..that made a big difference in my car. When you add oil an extra qt will be needed without the BS in place.

I kept the same axles, but you might not be able too?

We used the stock head with low lift and duration roller cam because I could not afford my old head to be freshened up. The old head had a 500 lift cam and the new combination has a 1/10th better short time and the same 1/8th mile, but a bit slower 1/4.....should be a lot quicker with the 500 lift cam in there later on.

Now is a good time to get a big digital EGT gauge too....my car with the jets I had used was nuclear lean on the highway....ended up using like a 404 secondary jet on the primary side and about a 497 on the secondary side...I am now a bit rich, but super consistant.

We did

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
swap will work fine and will be fun to drive !

you need to check but I think the 87 trans will have the large spline and the 86 will have the small spline so the axles will not work; also the 87 Kcar trans may have a different xfer gear ratio .. can you keep the 86 trans ?

otherwsie you will prolly need 88+ Lbody axles (large spline, Lbody length); and U could swap the xfer gears if you wished (pretty easy)

I wouldnt pay too much $ for porting since its easy to do yourself anyways , and on the NA motor the gains wont be worth the $$ (unless you have extra $$ then by all means go ahead)

before I spent the $ on porting I would get the 36.8 mm SS exh valves and have a good 5-angle valve job done, new teflon seals, deck the head at least .020 for some addl compression ratio (CR) ; then get an 88 or 89+ TBI roller cam ; and you should get a 2.5" exhaust system too (I think a 'muffler shop ' system would be fine altho a mandrel system from one of our vendors is almost the same cost, unless you know someone with a pipe bender and can get a cheap exh system bent up)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts