Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions???
I am having a heck of a time trying to remove my steering wheel on my 87 GLHS. I have tried penetrating oil, my large "enforcer " socket wrench, impact gun. The nut won't budge. And it not like it is covered in rust. I'm about to get out the hack saw and cut it off (not really).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any suggestions???
I am having a heck of a time trying to remove my steering wheel on my 87 GLHS. I have tried penetrating oil, my large "enforcer " socket wrench, impact gun. The nut won't budge. And it not like it is covered in rust. I'm about to get out the hack saw and cut it off (not really).

You are using a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar aren't you? I've used 3/8 drive before when I was young and didn't have access to 1/2 inch drive tools. Just make sure the steering wheel is locked, put a socket and breaker bar on it, 1/2 inch drive of course, and then go for it. If you need more leverage, slide a piece of pipe over it for a cheater pipe and that puppy will either come off or your twist the stering column out. I've never seen a column come out that way. It sounds like somebody really honked that nut down to make sure it didn't come off sometime in the past.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally was able to remove the steering wheel. Biggest problem was that the wheel wouldn't lock (another problem to fix another day). Ended up using a large ratchet and a pipe. Had my bro in law hold onto the wheel while I gave her hell. After a couple of tries and a steering wheel puller the wheel is off. Sent it off today to Craft customs today for restoration.
Thanks again for suggestions, I was getting ready to torch it off.lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts