Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading the rear suspension of my 87 Lebaron coupe to one from an 89 Shelby. I'm trying to pull the suspension out of my 87 but I am having problems getting the track bar and frame out.

1. The bar to axle bolt isn't turning, even with my impact wrench.

2. I got the bar to frame nut off, but the bolt won't come out. I've pounded on it with a 2 lb. baby sledge but it doesn't move. Is it welded on?

3. The diagonal brace nut came off, but there appears to be a little nut under the big nut. Is that supposed to be separate from the big nut, or was it supposed to come off with the big nut? I thought about pounding a socket onto the little nut, but there's no place to swing with the axle and the track bar right there.

Long story short...:bang head

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
I am upgrading the rear suspension of my 87 Lebaron coupe to one from an 89 Shelby. I'm trying to pull the suspension out of my 87 but I am having problems getting the track bar and frame out.

1. The bar to axle bolt isn't turning, even with my impact wrench.

2. I got the bar to frame nut off, but the bolt won't come out. I've pounded on it with a 2 lb. baby sledge but it doesn't move. Is it welded on?

3. The diagonal brace nut came off, but there appears to be a little nut under the big nut. Is that supposed to be separate from the big nut, or was it supposed to come off with the big nut? I thought about pounding a socket onto the little nut, but there's no place to swing with the axle and the track bar right there.

Long story short...:bang head
just for kicks measure the length of the frame arm. i tried to swap a 91 rear frame into an 87 and the 91's frame arms were longer than the 87's!! so i couldn't do the swap. measure first you might be working for nothing!!!!

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
Knight, that's a 90 up thing. So an 89 should be fine.

That being said does the 87 have a hollow or solid rear sway bar? What are the trailing arm bushings like? Do they have factory holes in them or are they solid? Things you need to know before you do the swap because you may or may not get an advantage.

86 CS daytona, 87/88 ShelbyZ and GTC and I've even seen some base model 88 Lebarons that have already had the big rear sway bar, they also run a solid (no holes) round bushing that is far and away superior to ANYTHING else. They're harder than aftermarket Poly RACE bushings.

I made the mistake of burning a set out to go with the poly race bushings and boy was I dissapointed to get them in and have them be a lot softer and you could feel the rear move around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts