airbag & instruments 7
Windows 23
scrap parts 12
Rear Seatbelts 8
Scrap metal 83
Wing 12
Exhaust 18
Climate Control 30.5

That total is missing the weight of the rear seats, door panels, and parts of the dash etc (the tally is from a few years ago and was not complete and not everything is in the picture). This is just most of the stuff that was in the shed. Threw the carpet etc away long ago.
So 350+ pounds removed from the car. The window weight is the weight saved by doing lexan rear windows (not worth it).

Also, the previous owner removed the a/c stuff so I didnt even get those easy weight savings. The duster is pretty light :D

and I went from 160 to 180 pounds last year so I went backwards on the weight mods. Weighing 140 lbs and being 5' 8" is nice for racing.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is all stuff done in early 2006 when I was waiting for my motor. Never took pics of the stuff but I did weigh a lot of it and throw it into one of my spreadsheets documenting money wasted.

So doing it again. I could pull 400+# out of an unmolested P body :D

That doesnt even include spare tire, jack, lugnut tool. Thats another 45 pounds.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Simple weight savings right there. I want to cut the spare tire well out of my Spirit, but I think I might kind of need the bumper supports should anybody hit me. If I get it to the track this year I'll pull the whole interior except the driver seat and dash, I should hit low 14's like that.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you dont have to cut it out as extremely as I did. My duster has no rear seat and I think if I got rear ended the back of the car would either ride up on top of someones car or just get smashed in a little by a bigger vehicle.

You can just cut out the "well" Wont save a lot on a spirit. On a P body they also have this stupid metal thing inside there which adds a few pounds.

What I cut off weighs about 35 pounds.

I dont think i would remove the bumper supports from my Spirit. Not just for safety but whenever someone touches your bumper covers they break something when you dont have much holding them up.

· Banned
432 Posts
How much do the rear seats weigh? I plan to remove the rear seats/seatbelts and cut out the spare tire well in my P body. Hoping thats atleast 100 pounds.
You have a lot of stuff listed that has to be put back on in a different way. Example, you took off the exhaust and reported the #'s but you will have to have some kind of exhaust put back on. Spare tire well gone but how much does the flat sheet metal you replaced it with weigh?
Wish I could take the bumper supports out, but I still drive this car on the street sometimes and thats just way too dangerous and illegal. You can't help it if someone runs into you, so as soon as the cops see that you get nailed with a big fat fine.
How did you get your hatch so light? Saw the wing is gone, but did you put lexan in instead of glass or something?
Edit-re-read your post and you said you put in lexan, so how did you get the rest of the weight out of the rear hatch?

· Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car originally had no exhaust when I first built it.
Someone with a quieter 2.2 and open downpipe could probably get away with it.

The metal replacement is probably about 5 pounds. I still have the leftover metal sheet which I just moved it to the attic of the house here.

The hatch hatch had all supporting metal removed. Basically its just the skin of the hatch (still has 3rd brake light though because thats light and something safe).

· Registered
1,151 Posts
So when you gonn a tear out the fuel tank and add a fuel cell for more weight savings? Also need some tracklite wheels ;)

Looking good though!

· Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the big tank because it sucks gas right now and my dream is to be able to take the car on some canyon cruises too :p

I wanted something like bogart wheels but everything on their page says they are not for the street. Im guessing somehow they like to work themselves loose so you constantly have to be checking the lugnuts (and I think they come with special lugnuts).

Obviously light wheels could easily save a good amount of weight. Skinnies in the back would be nice too.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am more worried about safety of those wheels (falling off?) then damaging them (which just means replacement).

But bogarts on the street would be cool :p

Seems like mustangs get away with it all the time. Maybe I just perceive too much danger from Bogart's warning.

· Registered
403 Posts
Ondonti,
I don't think they would fall off, most racing orgs frown on that activity. Drag strips are usually smooth & don't beat up on the wheels like streets do.
They are sharp wheels thou. Perhaps the Mustangs travel by trailer?
SpeedyEd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.