Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did such a good job sealing my aluminum turbo valve cover last time I had it off that it is glued down to the head big time. I’m really paranoid about prying on these aluminum VC’s cause they can crack sooooo easy if too much pressure is applied unevenly (bad experience before).

It seems the way the lip is made on them (channel) that you really can’t get a knife or even a flat razor blade between the VC and the head on the front and back surfaces to cut the RTV sealer. I’ve cut into the end seals and can pry a *little* with a screw driver, but it’s making me nervous as I’m afraid of cracking it from the uneven force.

Any of you guys have some 2.2 aluminum turbo VC tricks up your sleeves?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,524 Posts
One time, I was in junkyard. The valve cover was RTVed in to the cylinder head. I used a hammer to break the valve cover and get to the head bolts... The valve cover was RTV to the head so badly that there was still some piece I couldn't get off after breaking the valve cover in hundred of pieces.

If you must use RTV, THIN layer of RTV with gasket is good enough.

Good luck getting that valve cover off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,118 Posts
Stick a big screwdriver in the oil filler cap hole and leverage off a cam tower.

If it breaks, follow steps above using your favorite hammer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I had to use a Hammer on my 87 when I got it. Just use a rubber mallet and give her a few wacks thats what I did. Then don't put as much RTV next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it was standard practice on these valve covers to use RTV??? I never used the seals, other than the end seals cause they always seem to wind up leaking.

Well anyhow I got it off…and in one piece. What I did was cut into the end seals with a razor blade, Then slowly, I mean slowly, start prying a little at a time, just wiggling it up and down on the ends, going bit by bit more till I could just barely begin to slide another screwdriver in under the front (staying away from the ears and corners which are the weak spots) and work that screwdriver slowly too at the same time. Then I used a larger one in through the oil cap hole, barely moving it as I could hear the RTV beginning to let loose. The rear seemed to be the part that held out till I slowly flipped it back to break that section loose. I think the key to getting one of these off that is really stuck is not to apply too much pressure to one spot and to go very slow.

I had just never had so much trouble with one taking it off till now. The problem I had many years ago on another car was I over tightened one down and broke an ear off, which is why I’m now gun shy working with them.

Thing is this is a very rare valve cover too. It’s a Mopar “supercharged” VC. My Rampage has been supercharged now for a few years and now I’m going a different route entirely with it. I’ll soon be changing the whole drive train, electronics, fuel system, almost everything over to T-II. I found a great deal on a wrecked, low miles, Daytona Shelby Z T-II…more on this later as I progress.

I’m going to have a complete polished Mopar supercharger setup for sale soon also.
Pics of it can be seen here: 1984 Supercharged Dodge Rampage - Cochranton, Pennsylvania
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top