Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news to seasoned TD's but I tried to remove a turbo in a rampage before without pulling the head. I couldn't do it. Maybe because it was a 2.5? Anyway, I pulled the turbo out the other day without removing the head. Seems to me the best way to get at the top drivers side nut on the flange is to use a 5" extension. I used a 6" but it was tight. I removed the throttle body and was able to pull the turbo out. hope this helps another Rampage owner.

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
it is possible - even in an L-body - but it is difficult and can be near impossible if the bolts are original and rusty ...

BUT it is still easier to remove the head ;)

last time I pulled the head on my TII omni it took me < 30 minutes from driving the car onto the ramps until head was off... w/o air tools

·
Super Moderator
11,714 Posts
+1 to that ^

and remember when putting things all back together

when installing the factory vacuum tap into the old log manifolds
DON'T keep turning like you're tightening a bolt

the V at the top of the thread where the body of the part begins IS STRONG ENOUGH to SPLIT the intake manifold ..

been there ...eff'ed that up . - check.. ONCE

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I was lucky cause I was able to remove the flange nuts without too much trouble. Maybe I put anti sieze on them when I last installed the turbo. Can't remember how long ago that was. Still, saved me a head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket and getting the head decked. Hopefully the turbo rebuild is right! I'm anxious to get the stage 5 cal!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts