Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month my R/T shot out a check engine light, followed by a sharp cut out when accelerator was enguaged. I dropped the car off at the taste and my friend installed a new MAP and fixed it. Tonight I drove to Calgary 600 km, drove through a slush/snow mix the last hour stopped , fueled up the fired up the car. The check engine light came on and hit cut out when I pressed the throttle. It shot out code 12,13,55. 13 is the map. What could be causing MaP sensors to fail? Gonna buy another new one and cross my fingers

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had years ago on my Daytona,When I was in Alberta.
Take the map sensor and disconnect the vac line from it.Use a hair dryer and heat it up see if water comes out of nipple of map/vac line hook up nozzle.
If you do see water droplet on end of nipple it's because of the humidity in the air when you were driving along in snow and slush conditions.the heat in the engine area of the compartment mixed with the cold moist air coming into the engine bay mixed with splashs of wetness from the drive cools then heats the vac line and does this.
Condensation built up in vac line and prevented proper signal to computer.Once the air drys out outside ( high pressure weather system ) moves in to the area things will change with it.
This is what was happening to my Daytona I had to remove the MAP and heat it up and reinstall it and everything was back to normal.This happened frequently during winter months in Alberta with mine.
Try it, you never know. But that was one of the querks on my car.Drove me round the bend at times.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I unbolted it from the fender, pulled the VAC line and the hose was wet. Some water got up in there. I'll try it later tonight and it will hopefully be dry. I'm wondering if I can seal it up better, or where the water is coming in from. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I unbolted it from the fender, pulled the VAC line and the hose was wet. Some water got up in there. I'll try it later tonight and it will hopefully be dry. I'm wondering if I can seal it up better, or where the water is coming in from. Thanks for your help
There really isn't a way to prevent it because of the location of the MAP sensor.And since it ( the engine ) takes in the moist air via the intake that is how it happens because the intake distributes that into the vac line with the turbos from having Vac then fluxuates to Pressure during boosts with the turbo the condensation builds up in the line and works it's way to the MAP sensor.
On my 86 it was bolted onto the Logic module computer and on the 87 it was mounted on the strut tower,
The Dodge mechanic at the dealer whom I dealt with on the repairs to all of my cars figured the problem out and relocated them all higher up then then engine level and that did the trick.Because it worked perfectly afterwards.
He put them up along the headliner or the windshield piller areas of the interior of the cars that I had.Because the water condensed only in the lower part and water has a very hard time climbing to a higher level without fluid pushing it upwards so it never happened since then.You could try it and see but thats what he did to all of mine and it solved the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts