Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I replaced my kyb struts (about 10k miles on them) with new Koni adjustables. WOW!! what a difference. I had Eibachs on the kybs and now on the konis. the konis make the car (91 spirit R/T) feel like a race car! Another thing to add, the car sat about .5 inches higher in the front with the konis than the kybs because the spring seat on the koni was higher up .5 inches, thus why some say that after they install new springs and koni struts, the front sits higher. I just cut the coils to accomidate. Something else to add, the rear of my car sat lower than the front, even with the kyb's, so I bought some 3/4 inch coil spacers on ebay for a Jeep cherokee (xj) and they fit the rear coils perfectly. Good (cheap) mod for anyone wanting to raise the rear of their car a little, it was just the right amount for me, raked out my car just right. Mods to suspension on my car so far are konis in the front, kyb gas-a-justs in the rear, eibachs, strut tower bar, boxed in rear panhard bar (big improvement, and only $4 dollars worth of steel), 17" rims and bfg g-force sports. my car handles so much better than stock, still have yet to make the tires squeel around corners. Only thing left to do is buy a rear sway bar. Hope my experience can help out some of you.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
try boxing in the rear axle as well. You could also benifit from an adjustable panhard bar to further tweak the side to side alignment of the rear wheels.

Wink

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about buying some Koni struts soon. I have a Shelby Lancer with fairly new KYB/Eibach combo. I have GR2 struts and GAJ shocks. The rear seems fine, but the front seems bouncy and it doesn't seem as if the GR2 can handle the higher Eibach spring rate. Thanks for the idea on the panhard bar. I may end up getting an adjustable one to re center the rear axle though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what happened to my front gr-2 piece o craps. 10k miles and they were shot because of the eibachs, the rears seem to be doing fine though. I encourage you to try the konis, wish I wouldhave bought them first. such a difference! I just wish I had them in the rear as well because it would probable eliminate the need for a swaybar.
Jerry

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
How did you know the GR2s were shot? Were they always bouncy for you, or did they progressively get worse?

Mine have always seemed bouncy, and lately I've been hearing a creaking/knocking sound from the front passenger side when turning and going over bumps. I'm not sure if the noise is related to the strut though.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I just wish I had them in the rear as well because it would probable eliminate the need for a swaybar.
Nah, I don't think that could ever happen. The rear suspension is jenky as it is, might as well keep it stiff as possible.

My omni stays squat aroud corners, and the Quickor rear sway bar in the back is phat. That $hit helps so much for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i dont really think theyre shot, theyre just crappy shocks in general and cant handle good, stiff springs. my car has made that weird creaking noize when i turn ever since i lowered it, not sure what it is though, any ideas??
Jerry

·
Registered
798 Posts
I see there are still tons of people that don't listen to the experienced turbododgers when it comes to suspension setup.

If you do some searches, you would have found out the easy way.

I've been saying this for years now, kybs and eibachs don't work well. Good to see people are starting to listen.

·
Banned
2,837 Posts
mwinkle353 said:
try boxing in the rear axle as well. You could also benifit from an adjustable panhard bar to further tweak the side to side alignment of the rear wheels.

Wink
Wink and others...
I still dont think that boxing in the axle is the best. If you are going thru the work, replace the inner bar with a solid 1" to 1 1/16" bar. It is more predictable, cleaner, etc.

I know I am constantly beating this dead horse, however that is me. LOL

Frank

·
Registered
787 Posts
don't daytona shelbys/CS's aready come with a solid bar?..I'm assuming R/T's do too..?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this thread has been dead for a while, but Ive finally decided to box in the rear axle and WOW what a nice difference. I used 2 pieces of 1/8 x 2" x 48" steel from ace hardware, stacked them on top of eachother to make them 1/4" thick total, spot welded them together in many places, and ended up with a stiff, yet flexible piece, much more flexable than a solid 1/4" thick bar would have been. I welded it to the bottom of the axle about an inch every 3 inches. Made such a noticible difference! best $20 ever spent, and would have been much cheaper if I bought the metal from a place that sells it, not ACE. there is much less sway, the car feels much more neutral around corners, and though i havnt pushed it to its limits yet, i wouldnt be suprised if I finally ridded the dredded understeer.
-Jerry

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Good to hear. I'm in the process of rebuilding the chassis on my Shelby Lancer and have boxed in both the solid-bar rear axle and panhard bar, and reinforced the panhard bar with a 1/2" thick steel bar inside of it. I also have a rear sway bar from polybushings.com and polyurethane bushings for everything.

I'm putting the car back together this month. I still haven't decided on wether or not to replace the KYBs with Konis though. I know the car would handle much better with them but they are really too expensive for me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just as a quick point, you do realize that those coil spacers in the rear entirely change the spring rates, correct? You seem like someone who really enjoys their handling, and I just wanted to add that in in case you didn't know.

Your rates are now much higher than originally intended, which could've been why your KYB's blew out so quickly. Just a thought, no harm intended!

Aaron Miller

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
The Eibach springs are a little different though. With the weight of the car on them, the bottom six coils are stacked in the rear and the bottom four coils on the front are stacked. Since they coils are already bound together, I wouldn't think that adding a shim or even cutting a coil off the bottom would affect the spring rate. Am I wrong here?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts