Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am from Czech Republic repairing 1989 lebaron GTC Convert 2.2TII with my friend. We are noobies on this field and local mechanics do not know this car and cant help. The problem is, that old original turbo Garrett (TII) is gone. As a replacement I have at my disposal turbo mitsubishi TE04H from lebaron 2.5 (TI). I found some articles on dodgegarage webpages about how to convert the TE04H and use it. After my installation the engine does not work properly, lot of smoke goes from valve cover. I need advice how (if it is possible) to adjust waste gate system, exhaust egr and vac. Or if this is not the way I would be very happy for advice what turbo could be used for my 2.2 TII engine as a replacement of Garett (TII). I will order it from ebay or US, but the original Garrett is quite expensive, I would prefer something cheaper.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
There is no EGR system on TII cars in US. I would assume there is non on European export as well.

Smoke from Valve cover is blow by, which is cause either by non functional PCV system or worn out/broken pistons rings. Have you done a compression test on the engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. my english is very simply and I apologize for the use google translator .
there is a winter season and we are not working on car now , the compression test at the engine will be solved by a mechanic . broken pistons rings is possible , because the 2.2 TII engine has not been in run for a long time , was from Lebaron to parts
I'm still looking for information on using mitsubishi turbo that I have at my disposal. EGR is mistake , I know about 2.2 TII engine vehicle emission control system is right. I also want to replace the vacuum hoses and valve by the diagram of the car.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
the english translation is pretty good.

your vacuum hose routing looks good;
make sure you use hose clamps to prevent vacuum lines from popping off..

the EGR port on the mitsu can be plugged, you don't need EGR on your TII.

the cracks in the garrett turbine housing near the wastegate hole are common and don't necessarily mean that turbine housing is useless..
if the surface is no longer flat that's a problem otherwise you can probably use that part.

a rebuild kit for either the garrett or the mitsu are pretty cheap and small/light so shipping shouldn't be expensive if you choose to try to rebuild either of your turbos

good luck ! and let us know how you are doing :)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Agree with what he said. ^^^

The Mitsu will fit fine as it shares the same Chrysler bolt pattern.

The only difference as to fitting the 2.2 is the oil and coolant lines.

We are all pleased to have you here!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I understand correctly, the original Garrett TII can replace the turbo MitsuTEH04 TI engine will not damage it (higher back pressure, higher revs?). When mounting the turbo TEH04 to the exhaust manifold of the engine 2.2 we closed the EGR outlet (according to the dodgegarage page) on the wastegate housing, the oil and coolant lines fittings it was not different, exhaust outlet mouting it was ok too. how to check if the waste gate actuator works properly, I have modified the control according to the photo of the turbine in my 1st post, the original TI waste gate actuator is here on the picture. I have also attached a picture of vac schematics to the car.
thank you for your support and advice, let me know how I will continue.
apologize , google translate helping again .

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
1988 2.2 turbo 1 came with the te04h you will not damage anything. With vacuum hose connected as shown in post #6 you should have about 5-7 psi of boost and actuator is working.
The smoke from valve cover is very concerning. As you know, a compression test is in order.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I don't remember an EGR on a Mitsu.

Did you mean O2 (oxygen sensor) ??

O2 should be retained.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vacuum line schematics as it was connected to the Mitsu Turbo in Lebaron 2.5 TI on the picture attached, the o2 sensor is mounted, in the exhaust pipe, we did not change it. I took the car to a workshop for the mechanic, he will do a compression test and will repair the engine defects. I am waiting for the result and what parts I will need to repair the engine I buy at the eshop of parts dealers in the USA or ebay. the value of the pressure we measured on the cylinders I write here, the compression is 9.5: 1 for the 2.2L engine according to the service manual lebaron, I read. is it right?
thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the mechanic that did the compression test of the 2.2l engine reported the following: 1 cylinder 6 Bar , 2 cylinder no compression , 3 cylinder 7 Bar , 4 cylinder 7 Bar. He removed head of the cylinders to find out real damage range of the engine. Unfortunately it turned out that the usage of our old engine from the donor car was not the best idea. We will try to fix the engine .
I Thanks for your advices here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
at this point, the real damage of the particular parts is still unclear as the engine has not been fully scoped yet. we are still about to see what is exactly wrong there.
I will get back once we have the concrete outcome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all, after the year, I am back on my post. The engine 2.2 with TE0H turbo is working well in my Lebaron. There were bad exhaust valves, rust and dust. The mechanic check and repair cylinder head on the engine, then replaced all valves and valve steam seals and valve lifters and head gasket. Cylinders and pistons are good.
Another problem with the engin is clearance on crankshaft main bearing - not repaired. The engine starts well, keeps 1000 rpm when started and then it goes down to 800-900 after warmup, but whole car vibrate and shake when P is shifted. Despite the fact we changed all silent blocks (motor mounts) during the engine change...
After the replacement of brake fulid and brake blocks I have "soft" pedal. There is no fluid leak. I wonder if this could be cuased by faulty proportioning valve? Is it replaceble or repairable? I already bought the main cylinder. I usually purchase parts on RockAuto shop, but I was unable to find proportioning valve there. I appologize myself for posting break related question here.

any help apprecited, thank you
Jiri

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Howdy from Texas!
There's a town here called "West" Texas (that's actually in central Texas) that was
settled by Czech immigrants. It's known in these parts for their kolaches!

Anyway, concerning your brakes, it sounds as if there is still air in the system.
Did you bleed the brake fluid in the proper sequence? You should start at the
Rear Right, then Left Front, then Rear Left and finally Front Right.

If you did and are certain that there is no air bubbles left in the system then
it might be the Master Cylinder or Proportioning Valve. Someone else on this
site can probably help you as my knowledge is limited...

If the engine/car shakes when it is shifted make sure that the front motor
mount isolator is in it's correct orientation in the mount.

Good luck and take care!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi all, after the year, I am back on my post. The engine 2.2 with TE0H turbo is working well in my Lebaron. There were bad exhaust valves, rust and dust. The mechanic check and repair cylinder head on the engine, then replaced all valves and valve steam seals and valve lifters and head gasket. Cylinders and pistons are good.

great to hear.
Another problem with the engin is clearance on crankshaft main bearing - not repaired. The engine starts well, keeps 1000 rpm when started and then it goes down to 800-900 after warmup, but whole car vibrate and shake when P is shifted.
if the mounts are new. you should check them for proper orentation. and adjustment and center.

Despite the fact we changed all silent blocks (motor mounts) during the engine change...
After the replacement of brake fulid and brake blocks I have "soft" pedal. There is no fluid leak.
sounds like it needs to be bleed better or again.
or the master brake cylinder is failing allowing fluid to bypass.

I wonder if this could be cuased by faulty proportioning valve?
only if it was leaking.
Is it replaceble or repairable? I already bought the main cylinder. I usually purchase parts on RockAuto shop, but I was unable to find proportioning valve there. I appologize myself for posting break related question here.

any help apprecited, thank you
Jiri
good luck sir.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi John83Rampage from Texas,
among the Czech immigrants from Texas there are people who lived near my place :) And yes - Czech kolaches are amazing :)

There were replaced the rubber parts only during repairing old break master cylinder, but I purchased the new one also. The mechanic follow the manual during the break repairing and he did all steps two times (he had remove the liquid, but there were no air inside). The break itself works good and the car slow down as expected, but the pedal is so "soft".
Concerning the front motor mount - this one was not changed. But I have the new one :)

The question about the proportioning valve was because it is expensive part and I usually buy all needed parts before I go to mechanic, who replace them.

Hi masterjr3333 - thank you very much for valuable comments. I will inform you about the progress.

thank you both
Jiri

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all . I am back on my post. I need advice again please. Crangshaft and main bearings we did repair at the common block engine 2.2 T II . The engine is overheating while driving . The radiator with intercooler turbo is original of 2.2 T II the Chrysler Lebaron engine . The possible problem I found - the pulley belt for the Cardone 58-188 waterpump is of the 2.5 T I Chrysler engine , is drive across , clockwise . Could I do repairing it a pulley and belt swap only ? To drive a pulley - counter clockwise .The waterpump 58-188 to remain mounting . I must to change completely the waterpump with housing , which I have too is it the AIRTEX AW7122 . Is it a lot job more . How are is the diferences of the waterpumps in function except the construction design .
Apologize , google translate helping again . Thank you Jiri

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Common blocks, 1989 and up have a reverse rotation water pump.

The back of the belt turns the waterpump pulley.

1988 and older the inside of the belt turns the waterpump pulley.

Some use the 1988 and older on a common block but turn it the old way.

Not reverse like 1989 and newer.

Thanks
Randy

1988 and older

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glhs60
Thank for your answer. I didn't write the question correctly.
I have an idea but I don't know if there is any possibility it will work. If you may send your opinion, it will be helpful for me. I will change the direction of rotation of waterpump Cardone 58-188 (4315736 Chrysler part) to the opposite direction - according to the picture -1989 and newer . Have to change a pulley and the belt only. (The back of the belt turns the waterpump pulley). The Waterpump Cardone is installed in commonblock engine cooling system. The shape of turbine wheel of Cardone waterpump is different than Airtex waterpump which is used in commonblock engine. I'd like to know if it's necessarry to change it to Airtex waterpump.
thanks
Jiri

1 - 20 of 36 Posts