Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I swap the clutch from my ac compressor? I'm taking a guess, there's a nut in the middle which gets removed and then I need some sort of puller to take it off? Somone, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I'm not sure which compressor you have some just pull off when the nut is removed but I doubt it is that style. The other does use a puller sorta. Remove the nut then look at the clutch for threaded holes. That is were you thread the bolts for the puller. A steering wheel puller ussually will woirk. Some times if carefull you can just thread bolts in to the holes slowley and evenly until they bottom and easy off the clutch. Becareful because you never know what they are bottoming out on until the clutch comes off. Sometimes it won't matter what it bottoms on somestimes it damages things.

My question is what is wrong with the clutch and what do you have to replace it with? You can't just replace the clutch disc. They wear in together and replacing just half will cause other problems.
Tim

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
how does the old one look? I wouldn't change a clutch on my car unless it had an issue. If the clutch is ok the compressor is more likley to leak or stop pumping then have a clutch go bad. Have you looked for compressors? If so do the compressors come with clutches on them or not. If there not on there picking the ebay one up to have around might not be a bad idea. But if they do come with one you may never use it. It is a great price. They cost a ton more when you really do need one. My TIII has a good working compressor with a good clutch that won't hold freon.
Tim

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some compressors come with the clutch, some do not. Your compressor is leaking I take it or is something else in the A/C system leaking?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
the compressor is leaking well actually was leaking. I just got it back today from being rebuilt.
Tim

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Tim, I've recently had some experience on my A/C unit. Mine is off an '89 lancer, and I tried swapping out clutches on it. (I got a whole compressor with a clutch from a junk yard) anyways, when I put the new clutch on, it didn't fit right...and wouldn't rotate. So I put the old on on and it spins fine. But it was too damaged to use. I then swapped the whole unit and everything's working fine. So just buying a clutch may not work, just a thought.

Hope this helps, Zach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts