Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My serpentine belt on my 3.0 L '93 Dynasty has needed to be replaced for a long time now. I bought one from a Kragen, but I'm having trouble getting the tensioner loose. I replaced the AC belt at the same time that I bought the serpentine and that couldn't have been easier. I'm on spring break and heading back to college where I won't have tools to fix it until I head back at the end of the year. I don't know if I'm just not getting enough torque or what the problem is, but the tensioner just isn't budging. :bang head

Does anyone have any advice/help for a guy who is just starting doing his own car work?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Are you going from the bottom? I find that's much easier than messing with the wires and A/C lines up top. Take off the plastic splash guard and use a long 15mm wrench and you are all set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't tried coming from the bottom... You're right that much of the problem is having all of the wires and lines and hoses in the way. I'll try that tomorrow morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The tensioner assembly is prone to seizing on these engines if the present belt has been on the engine undisturbed for a lengthy time and the adjuster has become corroded. You may need to try to get some penetrating oil into the housing to free up the sprung adjuster from the back section of the housing which is firmly located to the engine, but it's difficult to do because the front section which is the sprung loaded arm with the Pulley on covers the back section. You may be able to get the oil down thru the opening where the spring is visible. If corrosion has happened, be prepared to replace the tensioner, they do fail.

·
Registered
238 Posts
not to be dumb but are you going in the right direction??.... I've done that b4 i was like wtf then tried it the other way and couldn't believe i was trying the wrong direction but it happens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts