Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in my turbo oil feed line and need to replace it. I have a new braided line from FWD to go on. It looks like it is pretty hard to get to the turbo side of the line to remove it. I have been looking for a thread that explains this job but can't find one. Can someone point me toward a post on this, or give me some tips on how to remove the oil line? Do I need to remove parts to get at it?

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
intake removal is necessary or turbo removal to get at the oil feed line, thats my 2 cents, but somebody will chime in with more procedures

·
Registered
370 Posts
one thing you may need to think of is the oil and water lines on the turbo get very hot,and over time the rust to the turbo housing. even if you can get to the line with out removing the turbo there is a good chance that the line will break off in the turbo, if you dont use a lot of penatrating oil on it first. and even then it may need to be heated with a torch to get it loose. if it dose break off in the turbo you will need at the very mininum to have it rebuilt.

to be honest with you I would just pull it apart and have the turbo remaned it not the cheapest way to go but in the end it will prob be easer. let them deal with removing the old lines and cleaning the holes so new ones can be reinstaled. just my 2$

·
Registered
257 Posts
The job can be done without taking everything apart,not fun but its way faster.Use flare nut wrench to break loose and to final tighten

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have not broken off any oil feed lines, so I think you should be okay. Patience is your friend here and so is plenty of penetrating oil and give it time to penetrate and possible reapply. You should be able to do it in car, but it may require some contortion of your body to get into the space. Ensure you use teflon tape on the threads to feed the oil or else you will have leaks (been there done that). I can't visualize exactly the oil feed line, but it may be easier to cut the oil feed line as close to the flare nut as possible and get a closed end wrench on it to get it to break loose, although with a good flare wrench you may get it off without having to cut the line. I just find that sometimes the flare nut gets rusted to the tubing and basically you end up bending/breaking the line off trying to unscrew the flare nut (very common with rusty brake lines)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe a dumb question but, if I do not remove the head do I get to the turbo side of the line from the top/side? Or do I do it from underneath the car?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Which is the oil feed line. I just replaced the oil line on my sons car that goes from the front of the motor to the back and it was no problem I did it from the top with a line wrench.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I have a porting tool with a 2" cut off wheel and I cut the line off and use a socket. But one could cut it off with mini bolt cutters, then deap well socket it off.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
thats a good way of doing it as it going to be replaced anyhow

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I do 02 sensors the same way, why fight it? Cut the SOB off and make it a pleasure. Added a oil line FAQ today BTW too lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts