Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for your time. I have a 87 Turbo II. Im installing a oil catch can and cleaning up engine bay. Ive looked online as best i can but cant find a specific answer. Ive read running open breather is fine for crankcase pressure, but the lack of airflow will keep the bad fumes and crud inside the engine and cause sludge. Do i need to keep the PCV valve itself if im running from the valve cover, to a catch can and going into the breather port on the air filter box? My theory is the vacuum from the engine is ok enough to pull the stuff out. I dont think thered be enough vacuum to cause excessive negative pressure in crank case, as it is before the air filter. Is this a viable set up or is this set up totally useless?

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts

·
Registered
13,440 Posts
Any details on the .4psi solenoid? Been struggling to source something simular
You have couple of ways to do it.

#1. Hobbs switch. Find the switch that opens at 1.1 inch of vacuum and under pressure. https://sensing.honeywell.com/77342XX-vacuum-switches

#2. Use a MAP sensor and Arduino.

I have mine setup so the hobbs switch activate the solenoid.
When my car is in vacuum, all crank case gas goes thru the Provent than to the intake manifold. When my car is in boost, all crank case gas goes thru the Provent, than to the pre-turbo intake pipe.

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Thanks tryingbe, i've been bouncing these sort of ideas in my head for the pcv system. I completely forgot I could just use a spare 2-bar MAP for pressure reference (or tap into the existing map with diode protection) and just build a simple logic circuit to do what I want based off MAP voltage!

Sorry for the thread hack 87mutt!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Our Turbo Engines have possibly the worst PCV systems of any Engine.

The main thing is to allow the Engine to vent freely to the atmosphere.

Any crankcase vapors ingested into the air intake only dilute the fuels octane.

Our 8V, Turbo Engines will not sludge if allowed to vent freely, no PCV.

Most Engines will sludge without a PCV, our 8V Turbo Engines do not.

Use the largest possible valve cover hose to allow restriction free venting.

Many of us use TBI valve covers as they have 2 vent nipples, not a single.

2 exit vents are better but even then keep them open and unrestricted.

Any restriction can act like a venturi and suck oil from the Engine.

There's already positive pressure blowing fumes etc from the crankcase

If you do try a catch can make sure it vents freely to the atmosphere.

Keep the crankcase fumes totally separate from the Engine air intake!!

Oil vapors in the Engine air intake only promotes cracked piston ring lands.

Thanks
Randy

Hello and thanks for your time. I have a 87 Turbo II. Im installing a oil catch can and cleaning up engine bay. Ive looked online as best i can but cant find a specific answer. Ive read running open breather is fine for crankcase pressure, but the lack of airflow will keep the bad fumes and crud inside the engine and cause sludge. Do i need to keep the PCV valve itself if im running from the valve cover, to a catch can and going into the breather port on the air filter box? My theory is the vacuum from the engine is ok enough to pull the stuff out. I dont think thered be enough vacuum to cause excessive negative pressure in crank case, as it is before the air filter. Is this a viable set up or is this set up totally useless?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you glhs, ya thats probably what ill do then. A vented catch can. I also confirmed, ya theres no vacuum at the air box deal. As long as theres no sludge i have no issues open venting catch can. Thank you everybody for your replies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts