Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DC Turismo said:
new question for you: how'd you fix the tach? i heard you had to solder some of those prongs but not exactly sure how... please let us know if you can!
Jeff Barnett has a good page describing the repair. See http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jeff.barnett/tach.html

The circuit board he refers to is the tachometer drive module. You will want to examine this closely with a magnifying glass. It is difficult to see any breaks in the solder with the naked eye. On my tach drive module it was pin #1 that was loose (at top of circuit board).

Good Luck

Robin

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Thanks for the useful post. I know I'm going to be able to use it!

Reactions: DeLa1Rob

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Awesome page. You really do need to use a magnifying glass... Man are those cracks hairline.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Be aware that tach drive modules are a dime a dozen at pick-n-pulls. Grab a few extra, and try to repair the best one. And quite often more than one joint is going to be bad, my Duster had 2 broken. But I'd already gone with an Autometer tach by then, now I have TWO working tachometers. I wired the Autometer with a Molex plug, so I don't have to leave it in the car. It only goes in on track days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So this is an older thread and my 87 GLHS tach stopped working. I'm 99.9% sure it's due to poor solder of the pins on the circuit board that drives the tachometer. The Link that was in this thread no longer works. Does anyone have a photo showing the problem areas on the 84-87 Charger/Omni that they could post up for me?

Mucho thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Welcome!!

I don't have any pic's but it's only small circuit board.

I'm electronics illiterate but successfully re solderd a couple.

Folks with enough education say a 5th grader could do it.

Some of us had to drop out in grade four but we still fixxed dem.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts