Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience or pointers on restoring a set of 87 GLHS Centurion II Rims?

They are in decent shape but are peeling. I can't tell if they are clear coated but I would guess that it's the clear coat that is peeling.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used aircraft stripper (it's a paint stripper for aluminum) to remove the clear.

I then used 600 grit wet sand paper on an orbital sander to remove the machining marks.
…. Then 1000 grit wet sp to remove sanding marks
….then 1500 grit wet sp to remove 1000 grit sanding marks
….then 2000 grit wet sp to smooth
….then stick metal polish on a buffing wheel (I found the 2000 grit had a finer finish than my polishing compound)
….then liquid metal polish by hand with a non-lint shop towel.

If painting the inset area like on an 87 CSX:

Mask off the polished area and paint the inset areas, lots of light coats, I think I did 6, remove masking and final hand polish and wax.

Total time about 12 hours spread over 2 days. I used an orbital sander for all sanding, I would not attempt without one, I used a old cheap electric rectangular one I had it worked well, just be careful around water. I used a spry bottle to wet the wheel and removed the sand paper from the sander often to rinse the paper of metal bits. Now they have a near mirror like shine.

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can also buff it from 600 w/ super duty compound @ highest speed w/ wool pad, and polish with soft cloth polish wheel. If you do all the other satges, like posted above, make sure each stage is done evenly, you can trap a haze if one step is not a clear as other. I have found to keep up on them use NO chemicals other than car soap to clean, and protect w/ petroleum based tire dressing. I run a reconditioning shop, I have tested all kinds of different things...:thumb:

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
View attachment 23598

View attachment 23433

I used a can of barrymans b12 injector cleaner and a spray bottle. Spray it on and let it soke for a few minutes and scrape off all the clear coat with a plastic putty knife. Doesn't hurt the rim or the rubber.

Then I used a mini power ball and mothers aluminum polish. You have to lightly sand out the scratches with 2,000 to be perfect though. I didn't sand any of the wheels and they all look this good. They were chalky white. I also spent 20 whole minutes per wheel including the time to take it on and off the car. So do it this way and look good in an hour or be picky to get them a little nicer in a month of weekends lol.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts