Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
So after weeks of being given the run-around on my incorrect pressure plate for my SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit, I'm running out of time.
My options are to reinstall the old used clutch or have my old pressure plate resurfaced by my machinist and install it with the new spec clutch.
Is there a difference in clamping force between the pressure plate I should have from SPEC and the stock-replacement pressure plate that I have?
In short: can I use an old pressure plate with a new clutch if it's been cleaned and resurfaced?
Obviously this isnt ideal, but I'm out of other options.
Thank you,
Isaak

·
Legendary Driver
10,932 Posts
how much power are you looking to make? Where'd you get the clutch from? Why just a stage 2?

resurfacing the pressure plate will take force out of the clutch.

I'd ditch the whole thing and get a standard Turbo2 pressure plate and a T3 disc and go if you're just fumbling around with a stage 2.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a spec stage 2 because my goal is about 250 hp, but I wanted some wiggle room if I decided to go higher.
So what you're saying is it would be better to try and return the spec clutch and just put the used clutch back on?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think I'm gonna have the flywheel and pressure plate machined flat tomorrow and reinstall the old clutch. It still has some life left on it, and I dont wanna burn my new clutch up because of a worn out pressure plate.
Getting the car back together is more important at this point than having all the newest and shiniest parts on it.

·
Legendary Driver
10,932 Posts
Sounds like a plan for now. I'd go with at least a stage 3 and aluminum flywheel. I'd also look at the same disc but unsprung which is the stage 4 for spec. I ran their stage 3 for 30k miles with a fidanza aluminum flywheel. Broke it in nice and easy. I don't slip the clutch. When I took it all apart for upgrades it barely had any wear on it. I have a 3 puck stage 4 waiting to go in.

I also just put an ACT 6 puck unsprung setup in my daughters Caliber SRT4. I was a little nervous as I've read all the crap about unsprung hubs on the internet and how they're so hard to drive blah blah blah with harsh engagement, blah blah blah etc. Nothing could be further from the truth! Engagement is fine as long as you're not a moron. and the car is so smooth now. Shifts feel like it has an auto in it. It doesn't bounce back and forth when you're creeping along in gear either. All of my future clutch upgrades will be unsprung hubs.

Guess my point is to go overkill on the clutch. It's much easier to do it once than it is to have it slip and have to do it twice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts