Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here.

Anybody have a "revival guide" for SC's? I am purchasing a 1987 "ran when parked" SC and would like some guidance on what to look for/change for these 30 year old vehicles. Clutch and turbo were replaced 5 years ago before parked. I owned a SC 25 years ago, but need a refresher for these cars.

Things I've plan on are:
Cleaning out fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, plugs, battery, filters, oil change, cooling hoses, radiator flush, thermostat, waterpump, all belts, AC service, brake pads, brake lines, tires.

Possible: Vacuum lines, power steering lines, inevitable leaking seals, mouse damage.

Anything else specific to these cars that should be addressed before starting/driving? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I think you hit all the basics.

You should probably get under the car and check the condition of the shifter linkage. Those plastic rod ends are a known failure point.

In fact, to save yourself hassle, just convert it over to Heim joints and never have to worry about them again...

·
Super Moderator
11,630 Posts
first thing to check is the seam running down the back half of the front wheel wells - in just past the inner edge of the plastic splash shield in the fender

IF that seam is rotted .. walk away - the rest of the car is going to be toast too

and they started rotting through there at 3-5 years old , way back when so it dosen't need to be a rust belt car to rot badly in that one area

·
Banned
7,667 Posts
As discovered. 'All she needs is a starter' was the initial comment from the previous owner. Well....putting a starter on it allowed us to crank her but the initial startup revealed that the engine was a heavy smoker to say the least. James Bond would have wanted this car for its ability to blow clouds. The bottom end turned out to be in good condition, the turbo seals were the cause of the smoke, rebuilt the head as well to avoid any future problems w/that since the head had to come off w/the turbo.

Then after several months of detail work the engine bay looked like this:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts