Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to use roller rockers with a cam meant for the old friction/slider style rocker arm? the cam in question is a nos MP .528", 288/288, 72*, 108, if that plays a role.

any info is appreciated! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Not really, the 2 designs are not cross compatible with each other.

You might get a "re-grinder" to 'touch-it-up' to change the contact surface between the cam & follower and 'make-it-work', I don't know how economical that might be tho....

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Sliders and roller cams use completely different lobe profiles. Crossing either way will quickly lead to massive destruction, if they would work at all. They may even have different base circles. I've not ever looked at the actual lobe specs. I know the roller followers "look" taller than the sliders, but that may be an optical illusion.

Don't do it....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
sliders and roller cams use completely different lobe profiles. Crossing either way will quickly lead to massive destruction, if they would work at all. They may even have different base circles. I've not ever looked at the actual lobe specs. I know the roller followers "look" taller than the sliders, but that may be an optical illusion.

Don't do it....
➕1

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
Totally incompatible. You can not mix and match slider cams w/roller arms or the other way either. You can however, take a slider cam and followers and put them on a normally roller cam head and vice-a-versa. You just cant mix cams and followers.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've run roller rockers on slider cams a few times with no problems. I just wanted to see if it would work as I'm the curious type. One thing is it alters the cam timing so I had to retard the slider cam one tooth with the roller rockers.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Flat tappet-(follower) also called 'slider' cams have a shallower ramp up to full lift and then the same slower ramp down which may limit valve open time.

--while--

Roller tappet(follower) cams can have a much more aggressive ramp to open the valve faster, hold open longer and close faster.

The current roller cams used in these 2.2' are more aggressive on the ramp up and down and are open at a more useable amount than the sliders they replaced, but not nearly as aggressive as they could be.

There should be no benefit to using roller tappets(followers) on a flat tappet(slider) cam other than probably wearing the cam out fast and filling your engine with metal shavings

1 - 8 of 8 Posts