Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally took off the valve cover on my 86 omni GLH-t and i found a pretty serious hole through the inside valve cover (not going through the 2nd layer though) but the culpret of the hole is what i think is called a rocker arm....:confused: not sure if thats what it's called or not. What i'm getting at is can it be welded back on or will i need a whole new piece?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Pic? If a cam follower has come apart,there might be pieces of metal throughout the engine. NOT GOOD I've never heard of it happening, though. :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I bought my 87 baron it wasnt firing on one cylinder,took the valve cover off and one of the followers was laying loose on top of the head. I would Imagine that this was from excessive wear and a collapsed lifter. I replaced the follower and that lifter and ran that head for about a year untill it developed a unrelated coolant leak/crack. However I cant imagine one comming off with enough force to put a hole in your vc

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
easiest way is to have pix already on webspace somewhere

then just give the link to the pic

or

use the 'insert image' icon on the "Reply" option screen which will actually put the pic into the text of your reply ...

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
sounds like the pad on the slider cam came off. Your lifters may be wasted and the "rocker" follower was bouncing off the cam lobe and blew appart.

buy an 88 TBI cam and run roller followers to start with, better get new lifters too. Roller cams you can get at a junk yard.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've seen a car with a roller follower that dislodged as well. I think overrevving and old lifters would cause this. Check the cam for damage, pick up a set of used lifters form the junk yard or just post on here, I'm sure there's lots of sets hanging around. Get some good lifters and it should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts