Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the suppys today and am going to start sanding the top half of the car tomarrow and hope to get a coat on! Here are some links to what im doing the paint job is only about 50 bux and with paciance the paint is wow perfect for my Shelby Z for now.. till I can resore it and all!

Some Examples of the roller paint job

The paint ages well to!! the pic of the vw is with 7 year old paint :)

Some Great Howto links::thumb:
A 1962 Ford Falcon Recieve A Budget Paint Job - Hot Rod Magazine

moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Poor Man's Paint Job

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like it can be as good as you want it to be It just takes time but for 50 dollers and a horrid paint faiding on my Z I got all the time in the world...well almost lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Painted my 84 Dodge Ram pickup with rustoleum and a brush and roller, no one knew. If it's not a show car its a cheap way to go and effective.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think this has inspired me to do my omni this way. No rust and just paint peel on mine and a few bumps but easy fixes.

They all look great for the effort and materials.

Keep up the good ideas and work.

:thumb:

·
Registered
358 Posts
The guy with the Corvair is on one or two of the same email lists that I'm subscribed too. It's neat, that's for sure. If I had some old beater I'd probably give it a try.

·
Registered
489 Posts
With the labor involved to make it work/look half decent, you are better off spending the $100 on a gallon of real Auto paint and renting a gun , doing it all out side..

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well I was hoping to get started but the weather man was wrong...Went from sunny and 55F to Raining 30F....:(
What color you doing?

Post pics of your progress.

A gun and $$$ paint might be an solution but I would like the satisfaction that I actually could say and know I painted a car for around $50 or so and it look like the ones posted here. With the rental, time masking and other materials I am sure the price is back up there.

From switching from ford to dodge - I get the feeling from people that the moto is spending the least amount of money to go fast and look good and this is one instance. :thumb:

Have to do research on what colors they offer.

RustOleum.com

Decent variety of colors.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sunrise red closes to factory color...here is the link of colors RustOleum.com
And the paaint colors have been the same for over 7 years and still match exactly!
Yea my dad has 3 guns and all that butthe paint supplys arnt cheap at all and is a pain to get it all out take the entire car off and all that stuff I could do it but I need speed not 500 doller paint jobs the wont look much better all people are going to see of my car is the back end ayways so they wont care....And the paints is very very durable...+ You use less paint becouse when you use a paint gun over 30% of the paint is in the air so 30% of ur paint is wasted....And yes I will take pictures after every coat and every wet sand and final product and as the paint ages!!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Painted one for 150 after EVERYTHING, Paint, supplies, rentals, Ect

Beat 70+ hours of wet sanding to me. 70 hours of labor isn't worth saving $50 IMO...

There is a Civic hatch and a GTI around here that a few of my dumb rice friends tried this on. After ONE year the Civic already needs to be wet sanded and buffed again because it became textured. The Gti was never finished because of the amount of labor.

Not meaning to offend anyone, just IMO it is a waste of time to get a sub-par finish.

BTW Did this for UNDER $100

You will never guess how....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good prep.........and spray bombed it....

Anything can look good as long as the prep is right, take your time, and doit panel at a time as to have NO Overspray, that is the key.

BTW, no wetsanding/ buffing was done!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats why it dosnt look very good :p lol jk I think Im going to still try the rustolium Ive seen many casses the paint never wears

1 - 20 of 32 Posts