Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 87 GLHS last Dec and the previous owner (PO) replaced the head due to the old one having cracks. PO said the head was bought built up and all he new was it had roller rockers in it. I asked about the cam or lash adjusters and he was not sure.

So here is my question. The attached photo is taken through the oil servicing port and you can see it has roller rockers, but short of taking off the VC is there anyway to verify it is the correct cam for the rockers?

Also, when I remove the valve cover for repaint, should this setup have PT lash adjusters with shims?

TIA!
20210404_182755.jpg

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
That is a roller cam. It is not a slider cam with roller followers. No way to identify what the camshaft came out of though. It will not have PT lash adjusters with shim, unless someone put them in place. The PT lash adjusters will be .125 shorter than a normal lash adjuster. Should be able to tell if shim(s) are in lifter bore after lash adjuster is removed.
PT lifters are not some magic potion that you "must have" if that is what your getting at. Millions of 2.2/2.5's ran for millions of miles just fine before PT lash adjusters came into the market. They typically make the valvetrain a bit quieter. An awful lot of hype on this forum about PT leash adjusters being the end all performance mod.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
If your cam timing is correct you have a matching roller cam.

I tried roller followers on a slider cam and it affected cam timing.

The cam was at least one tooth advanced with the mis-match.

I had to retard the cam to compensate for the difference.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sir.

Reason I ask about the lash adjusters is my #2 cylinder I believe has way more valve train noise then the other three (ear near vc). Also the first time I drove the car "spirited", after I drove it the engine had a tick sound, but ran fine. After couple minutes at idle the tick went away. I just assumed a lash adjuster partially collapsed at high rpm and was the source of the tick.

I just figured if I am going to pull the valve cover for paint and lash adjusters being cheap, i would just replace them while i was in there.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thank you sir.

Reason I ask about the lash adjusters is my #2 cylinder I believe has way more valve train noise then the other three (ear near vc). Also the first time I drove the car "spirited", after I drove it the engine had a tick sound, but ran fine. After couple minutes at idle the tick went away. I just assumed a lash adjuster partially collapsed at high rpm and was the source of the tick.

I just figured if I am going to pull the valve cover for paint and lash adjusters being cheap, i would just replace them while i was in there.
EZ way to tell if lash adjuster is collapsing is if it is very spongy when you go to inspect it. They should be pretty hard (filled with oil). A bad lash adjuster will easily bottom out. Your issue could be a bad lash adjuster, a long shot could be as you suspect having too much lash (like forgetting to install shim when needed).
Many, many years ago at an SDAC event while cars were competing in roadcourse event, you could identify every car that did NOT have windage trays installed as they exited the course. The valvetrain (lash adjusters clicking like mad). Of course owners were concerned until the ticking went away after a couple minutes idling just like you said. Having conversations with these people, they're like no harm, no foul, then I said if your lash adjusters were finding air, what do you think the bottom end of your engine was seeing? The look on their face was priceless!
If you install PT lash adjusters, just make sure you install some good grade 8 hardware or better. Stainless is way to soft. Also make sure the shims fit with a few thousands clearance as they can mushroom a little bit. Then they become very difficult to remove if needed. Trying to remove them after they're bigger than than the lifter bore is tough, very tough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts