Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put the roller rockers I had sitting around in my slider heads today. It seems to have given me more mid range and high end power. There is one issue. The slider cam caps are 1/16" longer on the part that holds the rocker shafts. This puts the roller ends of the rockers VERY close together. It's not making any noise so I think its ok but we'll see in a couple days when I take off the valve covers to check on it.

I was just wondering if these rockers will wear down the cam. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was thinking. I remember reading that roller cams have more egg-shaped lobes to accmodate the more rounded roller. Its not that much of a difference in power anyway. Not worth wearing out the cams. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been running one like that for a couple yrs and have had no issues in my 2.2l, but I also make sure to change my oil before it hits 2000 miles using castrol full synthetic oil and don't run anything under 93 octane gas( lately I've been adding some E85 for a higher octane), My brother in his pacifica runs the same and has had no issues either.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think it must depend on the cam/how steep the lift sides of the lobes are. I imagine that using the slider cam is making the valves "snap" open instead of more gradually opening. I think im going to change it back. My advice to anyone converting their 87 heads to roller rockers for whatever reason is, don't. Just swap the entire heads intead.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
all you need to do is swap the the cam and rocker, the heads are the same

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cam caps are smaller on the roller heads to accommodate the wider rocker end. It seems to be working however the roller end of the rockers for each cylinder almost rub. There was also no wave washers between the cam caps and rockers which is evident in the scoring on the rockers. This makes me wonder if there may have been service on the heads and the washers were lost or if it's supposed to be like that.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
slider cam in roller head

currently being discussed (sort of)

its not a good idea to mix and match roller cam/slider cam with roller rockers/slider rockers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.