Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
A lot of engines use exhaust valve rotators to keep carbo build up from sticking on or to a valve or valve seat to help lessen the possibility of damage occuring to one of these parts. I dont know wheather the 2.2 or 2.5 litre family of engines ever used them or not.

·
Registered
806 Posts
They never put that garbage on our motors. GM's one of them that has used them.

·
RECORD HOLDER 11second mini
726 Posts
The exhaust valves rotate inside the valve locks. This is common with many multi-groove exhaust valves ;)

If you put a set of locks on an exhaust valve you'll see that they butt together allowing the valve to rotate inside the locks :)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Be it a V-8, Slant 6, Turbo 4, or 3.0 V-6, I've never seen a Chrysler engine where the locks are machined to fit loosely on the valve stem. They have a small gap which keeps them tightly in the grooves.

GM and Phord don't know anything about designing an engine properly, which is why they need to rotate the exhaust valves on purpose.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Last time I heard about "Valve Rotaters" was when I was a kid and GM was advertising this on TV in the early to mid 60's on Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
the valve spring should be what rotates the valves while it is closing the valve.
Tim

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't see any way the valve could rotate , lifter at one end / cam on a roller or slider / valve at the other end.

I don't think the geometry of an 8 valve or 16 valve motor lets them rotate..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have links to a pair of videos that illustrate valves, springs, and spring retainers spinning during engine operation. I registered just to share them however I can't post links until I've got 5 posts. :(

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
The exhaust valves rotate inside the valve locks. This is common with many multi-groove exhaust valves ;)

If you put a set of locks on an exhaust valve you'll see that they butt together allowing the valve to rotate inside the locks :)
Yeah, GM didnt do such a good job with that. Ive seen a Zo6 ls1 get totally destroyed because the retainer clips were butting together too much and allowed the valve to slip down and eventually destroy the motor.

I would not use them even though keeping the valve seat happy is a good idea.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Anyone unsure if the valves rotate? Got a spare head around? Look at the valve tips, see that circular wear pattern? If there is another way to explain how that got there I'm listening;)

Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts