Turbo Dodge Forums banner

RTV safe for a boosted motor!?

1K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  scorpion1 
#1 ·
Alright heres the problem. In an attempt to remove the stock swingvalve one of the bolts broke off after turning most of the way out. I really dont want to attempt the rest without taking off the header first. Im concerned that these may brake as well though, I cant afford to pull the head right now. Will High temp RTV be good enough to reseal the header if I pull it or do i HAVE to get another gasket? I already have a bunch of crap Im gonna have to pull and retap because at least one bolt has broken upon removal :bang head

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I wish I could, This car HAS to be on the road by the end of the week:-( Which is why I dont wanna pull the head cuz Im gonna wanna drop the oil pan and drop in forged internals and slap on a large trim turbo and ported head lol.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
yea I knowww:bash:I really wish I could build it right now. Will the RTV be ok for about 6 months till I can swap heads and internals? All it needs is exhaust and inspection and its the only thing holding me up. I have no idea how to get these things out without breaking anymore. Im praying the first backed out far enough that its not still holding it to the turbo:bang head

Discussion starter · #12 ·
plus coolant, oil, tensioner tool and anything I manage to break in the process lol. I thought itd be alot more expensive. OFF COMES THE HEAD! lol.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
deffinetly makes sense. Im still used to working on neons so to pop the head would cost me over $100 easy. Recomended gaskets? Ill be getting ARP hardware. I run MOBILE 1 in all my vehicles so its decently cheap. yea it cost me like 3 something a qt for oil. Oh and I needa get a torque wrench. Well my next paychech should cover all this I was just worried itd cost alot more than that.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I havent had any problems yet, its fully synthetic I would assume not but Im not much of an oil guru. I figure, the cars came with a Mobil 1 sticker on em, and mopar recomends it so why not? I run Seafoam through once a year as well to help keep carbon buildup down and clean off the cylinder walls ect. I use it in my transmission as well with no issues, but I got the trans fully rebuilt from another member.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I wanna run Royal Purple but Ive heard so many mixed reviews about it IDk what to think lol. Ive heard of people grenading transmissions with it and other had no problems at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.