Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to dodges.. Im driving a 86 lancer t1. The car runs very rich, i can black smoke coming out of the exhaust when i try to accelerate. Is there a way to diagnose the problem, to see if it's a fuel regulator problem, injector? or something else? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
23 Air charge temp sensor
35 Radiator fan relay (open or shorted)

will the 23 code make the car go super lean?

·
Administrator
25,725 Posts
The 3 major sensors for fuel control that are capable of "black rich" are Map, Coolant, Air Charge.
As far as I know T-1 did not use an Air Charge Temp Sensor.
Since you have an Air Charge Temp Sensor code be sure that is a "hard fault" (happening now) and if so diagnoise and repair that fault and go from there.
Backprobe the connector with a digital voltmeter with the key on and compare the voltage to the voltage chart in the engine management section.
If the voltage is out of range unplug the connector and probe the 2 terminals with the key on, it should read 5 volts, if ok replace the sensor.
If it does not read 5 volts check the reference line(signal) and ground(signal return).
After completing the repair be sure the plugs are not fouled and that the oil is not fuel diluted.
If correcting the code 23 does not improve the condition check fuel pressure.
Static pressure is 53-57 PSI.

·
Administrator
25,725 Posts
Silly question, what is a "log"?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Silly question, what is a "log"?
The "log" or "turd" that air uses to get into a 87 and older T1 engine, the intake. All the suck through turbos are called Logs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the 411 on that.. ill try to check that this weekend.. Does anyone know where these sensor are located (Map, Coolant, Air Charge)? I need a visual.. thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Map sensor is on Logic module(Computer) in the right kick panel,the temp sensor is on the right side of the thermostat housing,and the ACT is on top of the intake manifold it is an oval shaped plug-in with two wires,the knock sensor only has one and is a push on connector.O2Sensor will cause a rich condition also but will show up a different code(21)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry for keep asking the noob questions..

but if any of these sensors turn out to be bad, can they be easly attained? like autozone? dealer? kragen or napa?

nvm.. found them at rockauto.com..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts