Registered
1,524 Posts
88 electronics - 2.5 TBI

Issue: Car won't start or stay started.

Replaced: Spark Plugs & TPS

Codes: 12 - 23 -24(just added itself) - 55

I'm not at home, no books:bash:

Any ideas?
12- battery feed to SMEC disconnected within last 30 starts ; 23-charge temp. sensor circuit (incorrect temp., or a temp. that changes too fast); 24- TPS circuit ( Check engine light also turned on - displayed if sensor signal is less than .16 or greater than 4.7 volts).

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have an extra HEP with you, or have access to one???
No when I was putting the car back together after some floor replacement I forgot to put it back in the glovebox:bang head

12- battery feed to SMEC disconnected within last 30 starts ; 23-charge temp. sensor circuit (incorrect temp., or a temp. that changes too fast); 24- TPS circuit ( Check engine light also turned on - displayed if sensor signal is less than .16 or greater than 4.7 volts).
12 - Nothing new lol
23 - Where is it on a TBI? lol it's not in my manifold this time, that is all I know(I wish I had my books here btw).
24 - Solved this one! Long story:p

Can the charge temp sensor cause it to run like crap? Or not run at all?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No when I was putting the car back together after some floor replacement I forgot to put it back in the glovebox:bang head

12 - Nothing new lol
23 - Where is it on a TBI? lol it's not in my manifold this time, that is all I know(I wish I had my books here btw).

The manual says the charge temp sensor is the throttle body temp. sensor on the 2.5 TBI. Wish I could print out this '88 manual for you. The The Blk-LtBlu wire on the TB temp sensor goes into a splice with same color ( Blk-LtBlu) wires from the TPS and the Map sensor, and to the distributor.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should add this in...

Last week on my way home from home the car was running fine til I got about half way to my home. Then she started cutting out, backfire here and there, but ran smooth when idling, only acting up when in gear. Got her to a auto parts store and bought a fuel filter(been thinking it was getting clogged). I replaced it in their parking lot, got in started right up and took off. That didn't fix it, I *believe* it helped but it still was acting up. I got the car to my father in laws house and left it. Yesterday I was brainstorming, she was starting right up but still cutting out, also just in gear. Today I replaced the TPS, fixed the cutting out but now she won't start like she did just yesterday.

Does that help? This problem just started happening after I replaced the TPS. Fixed one problem and it started another LMAO:mad:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

12 - Nothing new lol

That would explain the starting/running issue's.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The manual says the charge temp sensor is the throttle body temp. sensor on the 2.5 TBI. Wish I could print out this '88 manual for you. The The Blk-LtBlu wire on the TB temp sensor goes into a splice with same color ( Blk-LtBlu) wires from the TPS and the Map sensor, and to the distributor.
I think if you track down that Blk/LtBlu wire you'll find the problem, as it is shared by the Dist., TPS, TB temp sensor, & Map sensors.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It should have came on with your TPS code issue. BTW, that Blk/LtBlu wire mentioned earlier goes (after the splice) to pin #4-Sensor Return on SMEC.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That temp sensor is in the top of the throttle body, to the right, looking at it from the front of the car. It will be pointing straight down, and is screwed into the top portion of the TBI unit. Only the '88/'89 got it, and when it goes, it can be a pain. If you have to replace it, make sure you use the new heat sink compound that comes with the new sensor.

Another thing is check your TBI wiring for any signs of the wires being melted together. They have a tendency to do that, as they are right over the exhaust manifold.

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Ahhh carbs are so much easier:angel:
So, how does your comment help the man fix his car? hell no carbs are not easier... Especially the feedback carbs this things used. what a peice of crap.

Originator: how's your spark look at the plugs? pull a plug wire, crank over the engine and see if you have a strong blue spark. Notice I said at the PLUG not the coil. Here's why. it is very common for the rotor in the distributor to short to gound. This problem throws off a lot of people because if they pull the coil wire, there is really good spark but it's not getting to the plugs, it's going to ground thru the distributor shaft.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So, how does your comment help the man fix his car? hell no carbs are not easier... Especially the feedback carbs this things used. what a peice of crap.

Originator: how's your spark look at the plugs? pull a plug wire, crank over the engine and see if you have a strong blue spark. Notice I said at the PLUG not the coil. Here's why. it is very common for the rotor in the distributor to short to gound. This problem throws off a lot of people because if they pull the coil wire, there is really good spark but it's not getting to the plugs, it's going to ground thru the distributor shaft.
Dude, He's a good freind, I've been yank'n his chain for months on his car. BTW
Why do you switch between allmotor and 22dodge?

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Dude, He's a good freind, I've been yank'n his chain for months on his car. BTW
Why do you switch between allmotor and 22dodge?
OK that makes sense, I'd pick on my buddy too. don't know what you're talking about. Look at inition dates, I've been on here a lot longer

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She starts! Now she stumble's in gears, does good in the higher RPM range. Salt and Pepper plugs(im lean of course). Can't locate any vacuum leaks. Idels fine with the MAP unplugged(i was trying to throw it in limp mode), havn't taken it out for a ride yet with it like that.

No code's being thrown as of yet...

·
Registered
282 Posts
hey clayton with the motor running move the wiring harness form fender to tbi around and see if you can induce a stall also check your ground on the head

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey clayton with the motor running move the wiring harness form fender to tbi around and see if you can induce a stall also check your ground on the head
The wiring has been tinkered with(cut and splice in area's when the o2 sensor was under the shifter). The ground is good, thought of that one too.

I'll check the wiring out tomorrow, I hope a carb fixes it cause i'm about to throw in the rag.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts