Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Had to work for a while, but I'm hoping to get some more things done before regular freezing weather hits. I've taken off the spoiler and the passenger side plastics. There's still plenty of body work left to do! However, I ended up going a slightly different route than I had planned. I took the new radiator out to donate to the LeBaron, which I've almost finished re-reassembling. I had ordered a Honda Civic radiator for the LeBaron, as well as an intercooler, but the LeBaron's transmission cools through the radiator, and I was also hesitant to start modding that car for more power, since it's an automatic. Instead, I chose to put the Honda radiator and the intercooler in the Shadow:

View attachment 277842 View attachment 277843

I've got everything rough-fit into place now. I drilled two holes for the lower radiator mounting pegs, and I'm going to use heater hose cut-off bibs as grommets, at least for now. I really had very little trouble swapping the T1 guts to T2, but I have several vacuum lines that are still a mystery. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

The upper radiator hose is simple. Cut it shorter and bend it a little. The lower radiator hose is going to be a little bit more of a challenge, but a local expert suggested cutting both bends off of the original lower radiator hose and coupling them to allow me to make the twisted "S" curve I need.

I think I'll have this thing assembled and running again tomorrow. I have a manual boost controller (A Grainger valve), but I want to make sure everything else is working properly first. Besides, the IC alone should provide a slight improvement in top-end performance, even at stock boost.

I also haven't installed the BOV. The line from the turbo to the intercooler is getting harder and harder to find, so I want to be VERY sure where to install it before cutting anything...
For the lower hose home depot 2 1" 90 degree copper pipes and use the stock hose like this.
White Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The Ebay bov fits where the T2 Airbox would go
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part

With a MBC run the hose to the wastegate itself. The stock hose is T'd to a port on the housing holding boost down to 5-7lbs..

·
Premium Member
85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, 89 LeBaron Convertible 2.5 T1
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That BOV solution is great! It's funny how much better everything seems to fit this way, compared to stock. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a single big box store or hardware store with copper fittings above 3/4". The shelves are so empty it's scary, and the few items they ever show in stock have been shoplifted long ago.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's assembled and driving great! I still have a couple small things to do, like wrap some of the hoses that go near sharp edges and mount the intercooler properly. I left the boost untouched, but it has a good increase in power. I wanted to make sure everything was solid before adding the MBC. I picked up a small overflow bottle and slipped it neatly under the right headlight. I'm really surprised how easy the whole thing was!
Regarding the lower radiator hose, I stumbled on a great solution. I took the lower radiator hose for a 1986 GMC C1500 with 5.0L V8 and cut the middle of a straight section to pivot it into the right angle. I used a cheap Victor Reinz repair kit as a coupler. It's part number E71200. The hose is about 1/4" larger than the original, so I also had to use a reducer on each end. It's not a perfect fit, and there are two slightly sharp bends, but since it's already a larger diameter hose, I don't think it will be an issue. It does come close to the height of the oil pan, so I will be getting the plastic engine guard ASAP.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I grabbed a $20 manual boost controller off of Amazon, and I wanted to see if I could dial in 15psi. I obliterated the old vacuum lines and fittings during removal, so it will be a little tricky to go back. Overall, I'm really not happy with it. It's absolutely uncontrollable on the Shadow. I burned out in 3rd by accident... It gives a consistent 15psi spike, followed by 14psi sustained, but only at WOT in high RPM's. If I'm in 4th or 5th and give it a little throttle, the boost gauge flips way past 15! And no, I don't have a 3 bar MAP

I'm gonna order the FWD Performance stage 3 calibration, as well as the charge temp sensor and pigtail. The price is right. My only qualm is not knowing how long it will take to arrive. I'm tempted to just buy another MBC in the mean time and see if the one I bought is simply cheap junk.

Oh, and it seems that there isn't an engine splash listed for this car. I'm going to just make a guard for the lower radiator hose out of steel.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I grabbed a $20 manual boost controller off of Amazon, and I wanted to see if I could dial in 15psi. I obliterated the old vacuum lines and fittings during removal, so it will be a little tricky to go back. Overall, I'm really not happy with it. It's absolutely uncontrollable on the Shadow. I burned out in 3rd by accident... It gives a consistent 15psi spike, followed by 14psi sustained, but only at WOT in high RPM's. If I'm in 4th or 5th and give it a little throttle, the boost gauge flips way past 15! And no, I don't have a 3 bar MAP

I'm gonna order the FWD Performance stage 3 calibration, as well as the charge temp sensor and pigtail. The price is right. My only qualm is not knowing how long it will take to arrive. I'm tempted to just buy another MBC in the mean time and see if the one I bought is simply cheap junk.

Oh, and it seems that there isn't an engine splash listed for this car. I'm going to just make a guard for the lower radiator hose out of steel.
Protip. Remove the spring and stretch it out so it's stronger. And yes mine spikes too the Mitsu is super quickspool. With the automatic I use the gas pedal to control boost around 5psi part throttle otherwise it goes right to 15psi. I put on snow tires to hold back the tire spin.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good tip...and in that case, I should definitely get a different boost controller. The spring in this one is captive to the threads and doesn't come out. I think they pressed an oversize spring in to make it easier to assemble at the factory. Any brand you like?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good tip...and in that case, I should definitely get a different boost controller. The spring in this one is captive to the threads and doesn't come out. I think they pressed an oversize spring in to make it easier to assemble at the factory. Any brand you like?
This is the exact one I got. Simple ball and spring job..

21 - 28 of 28 Posts