Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I really like my 93 daytona 3.0L v6 I bought with 66,000 original miles.

However, this thing would be so much better if it was RWD instead of FWD. Can I keep my 3.0 engine and just convert to RWD? Also, what tranny is best for the 3.0?

Lastly, my goal is to pull parts from a few local junkyards that know me personally and give me great deals. Is there anyway I can convert the Daytona to rwd using parts from a junkyard? Is there a thread here where someone has done this? What parts do I need? Also what vehicles can I pull them off of? I heard the late 80 early 90 Dakotas can be used?

Thanks everyone so much!!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
The Dakota stuff could be used to convert a 4-cylinder to RWD. There is nothing Chrysler that used the 3.0 in a RWD format. You could maybe use a Mitsubishi Montero transmission. I'm honestly just guessing. I've never seen any information on anyone trying it. Or you could try adapting the minivan AWD system to your car. It'll still require some fabrication, but significantly less than turning the engine or modifying other company's parts.

The best stock transmission for the 3.0 is the a543 5-speed. It was the only manual offered with a Chrysler-equipped 3.0. Your other stock choices are the a604 and a670 automatics, which have pros and cons for either option.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would like to keep the 3.0 engine since it is the original and only has 66,000 miles hardly broken in yet for this motor.

If the same transmission connected to the 3.0 were also connected to the 2.2 and 2.5 so I would think that I would not have a problem. What is preferred by people the 727 or 904?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
The 3.0 and the 2.2/2.5 had different transaxles. The internal bits can be interchanged between some of the V6 and 4 cylinder units, but the cases are not the same. The 4 cylinder units will not bolt up to the V6.

The 727 and 904 are nothing like the FWD transaxles. There may be an adapter plate for sale someplace or you could have one made. You would still need to turn the motor and make custom mounts, make an engine cradle with new steering and suspension design, and find a rear that will work. There have been a few threads on here about doing a RWD using old V8s, new V8s, and a 4 cylinder. To my knowledge, nobody has tried it with the V6. You'd be the first if you did.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Any rwd transmission that will bolt up to the 3.0 v6 that someone knows of?
Adapter plates exist/could be made to mate a random tranny with a random block right? In that case, I'm curious how the increased distance between the two is dealt with..wouldnt a longer tranny input shaft be needed, and isnt that something thats definitely not easy to get ones hands on, if at all?

Or could the friction disc splines be extended somehow? That seems like it would be easier.

Or is this not how its done at all

·
Administrator
16,492 Posts
Yes but its a 4wd trans only. If i remember right its the mitsu mightymax.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
There are lots of RWD factory options but they might not be what you want since they are from SUV's and trucks.

Bill Hincher has also built multiple 6g72 (3.0) bellhousing adapters. C4 Ford already completed and he is working on the T56 and powerglide adapters. They are not cheap but if you consider the work he puts in and how impossible to do yourself, its a very good value (all the stuff I have seen has been under $1000).

I hope to get a powerglide adapter when they are done for one of my odd projects.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I think you've got the answer to this question. May not be the one you want, but you got it.

I have to ask why you want to do this? I get being different, and doing something new(I'm one of the few guys on here who built up an N/A, carbed 2.2 instead of going turbo), but at the same point, you have to be realistic. You bought a V-6 Daytona, and want it to be a performance machine. Truth is, Dodge didn't put the V-6 in for performance, they did it for "sophistication". V-6's were very big at that time. The were the "new thing". The 3.0 produces no more power that a 2.5 TI, yet it adds significantly more weight up front. I'm not a fan of the 3.0, a lot of guys on here are. I'm not going to debate the merits of the motor in this thread and get off topic.

You've posted on here asking many questions about making your car faster, yet you constantly ask about doing things to make it slower. Sticking with the stock 3.0 and converting to RWD will add quite a bit of weight to the car, not to mention the added parasitic drag of a RWD setup. You do this, and the car will be slower.

You start this thread asking about junkyard parts to do a RWD conversion. Obviously you want to try and do this on the cheap. What you are trying to do is neither cheap, nor easy. Anything can be done if you throw enough cubic dollars at it. But this idea of yours is going to require a lot of custom parts and fabrication. Either you have to have the skills to do it yourself to save money, or you're going to spend a lot of money to have somebody with the skills do it for you. You can't have your cake and eat it to... If you want to know what goes into a RWD conversion of a Daytona, look at some of the existing threads on the V-8 swaps. You are dealing with the same basic thing, except in the end your going to wind up spending the same money, and having 1/4 the hp. Plus you are going to wind up with a bastardized car with parts from half a dozen different manufactures, and you're going to have to keep track of all that so when something breaks, you know what to go to the parts store and ask for... Then hope the part you broke wasn't one of the custom ones you just paid big bucks to have made...

Please understand, I'm not trying to beat you up. Thinking outside the box can be a very good thing. But when you turn to the experts, and they all say it's not worth the hassle. Maybe, just maybe, you should listen...:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Using junk yard parts as much as I could, I've still got well over $10K just in materials in my swap, and that's doing all the welding and fabrication myself. Granted, I had to build for a little more power than you'll have to deal with, but there's still no cheap and easy way to do it.

There's really nothing in the yard you can use for a rear suspension or an engine cradle, unless you're some kind of master metal worker.

Take a look at my build thread for a preview of what you want to do. Of course there's a million ways to cook a chicken, and there's certainly people out there with better fabrication skills than me, so the way I did it isn't the only or best way. But I am one of the very few here that have actually done a successful RWD swap.

If you think your skills and wallet are up to the task, I say go for it. It's cool as hell to have something different. Just the looks I get when I pull into a car show with that lopey V8 rumble coming out of a supposedly fwd 4 banger make it worth the time and effort in my eyes. Not to mention it's a blast to drive...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that no one here is badgering me or being critical of me. On that note I apologize for all the posts. This car is exactly what I want just wich they had more performance upgrades and that it was REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!

So, I am just trying to find a logical way to do this with the car.

If you don't mind can I ask all of you one more question. What is my expected price minus a 318 motor I have. To convert my Daytona to rwd?

Just looking for a realistic price range. Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Adapter plates exist/could be made to mate a random tranny with a random block right? In that case, I'm curious how the increased distance between the two is dealt with..wouldnt a longer tranny input shaft be needed, and isnt that something thats definitely not easy to get ones hands on, if at all?

Or could the friction disc splines be extended somehow? That seems like it would be easier.

Or is this not how its done at all
Depends on the combo. With some you have to space the flywheel/flexplate the same distance and need to accommodate a pilot bushing or register in the spacer.

With others you need the adapter to be extra thick to accommodate a long input shaft with just an adapted pilot bushing in your crank. The flywheel will still need to be spaced correctly to allow the throw out bearing to work properly.

The really tricky stuff comes into play when the transmission or bell housings' starter accommodations are in interference with the target engine.

I've machined two different adapter packages in the past. The only one I've ever had for myself was a purchased item. In 1990 I adapted a 392 hemi(1958) to a small block 727 in a '70 Duster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There's way too many variables to consider to nail down a price. What trans? Manual? Auto? What rear end you want to run? Your options are limitless.

Like I said, I'm $10,000+ into mine. The frame kit I bought from Kenny Exline was around $3,500. I've got roughly $2,000 in the trans, another $1,500 in the rearend.

Figure in a custom driveshaft, custom bent exhaust, steering, radiator, fans, trans cooler and lines(if you're going auto, if not you'll need a clutch, throw out, master and slave cylinders etc...) gauges, sheet metal, brake lines and hoses, wiring, ignition boxes....the list goes on and on and on.

How much you're going to spend all depends on what you want. That being said, I can't see it being done anywhere close to right for less than $5-7K. If you can't do the welding and fabrication yourself double that.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
mopar969: what is your fabrication skill level? The price tag on this project changes by a factor of 3 or more depending on whether you are planning on doing it yourself or paying someone to do it.

So, re-reading this thread, it looks like the specific answers as to "what tranny for RWD on a 3.0" are:

-Dakota tranny (require fab)
-Mitsubishi montero tranny (does this require fab or is it bolt on?)
-Minivan AWD (require fab)
-Mitsu mightymax (4wd) (bolt on)

And

Best stock 3.0 tranny:

A543

Forum focused on 6g72 RWD swaps:

http://6g72rwd.forumcircle.com/index.php

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
There is also information in the RWD section of this forum about Ford C5 bellhousings from 2.8L v6's that bolt up to the 3.0 along with using an AOD converter. Kinda sketchy to try since I have never seen anything but that persons statement. It would be junkyard and cheap.

The idea that a 3.0 is significantly heavier than a dressed T1 setup, maybe as long as you don't measure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2005-2006 KIA Sorrento 2wd comes with either an auto or a 5 speed that should if I'm not mistaken bolt up to the 3.0. Hope that helps a bit. Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think a v8 should be in order for all the work... if you must run the 2.5 or 3.0 I'm thinking a rear end from a awd mini van, but I don't think it would last long with a v8 . I also wonder about dodge stealth parts, engine, rear end etc. Now a twin turbo 3.0 from a stealth would be interesting

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an idea for you.

Keep your car the way it is (assuming it is a good reliable car).

Buy another car off here or local that has a bad drive train. Then put a small block dodge (318/360) with the auto trans in. The small block and auto will fit into the chassis and you can keep the interior stock. The conversion will be much more straightforward.

Back in the 80s and 90s there was a shop near me that built chrysler drag cars. The guy (Jim Hale) had l lots of mopar racing stuff. I still remember his factory hemi dart and altered wheelbase hemi car. He became very tight with Chrysler and they started having him do things for them.. Chrysler had developed a crossmember that bolted in the daytona to help you convert it to RWD with a small block. They gave him new daytonas for the conversion. It was nice when done. It looked mostly stock on the outside and interior but under the hood was a v8!

Anyway if I was doing a conversion I would do the V8 conversion on another car (it will take forever).

Here are some links
1991 Daytona RWD kit | Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech | Moparts Forums
426 Hemi, Chrysler, Mopar
BangShift.com This 1990 Dodge Daytona Will Shut Down A The K-Daytona Cracks With A Late-Model Hemi, Six Speed, RWD Soundtrack. - BangShift.com

Thx-Ace

1 - 20 of 25 Posts