Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, after an interesting week of troubleshooting, the 89 Daytona Super 60 project is running, Finally! It fired within the first 5 seconds of cranking and all is running great, except for the smoke screen.

I def expected some smoke but it really got outta hand lol. Ive got about 30psi oil pressure at idle after warm up, about 75 at initial start. Smoke appears white, with a slight blue tinge. Ive got 2 oil drips under car. One small one being back of motor, passenger side, appears to originate from the PS pump to block support (just like the turbos support) bolt. I dont remember messing with that, but who knows. Is thatn similar to the turbo to block support bolt? Hits an oil galley? Also the other leak, a bit larger, bout the size of a football after 10 mins, is no doubt originating from the turbo. Looks to be from the oil return to block.

I did check the oil return flow off of turbo before hooking up the silicone hose. I had a 6 foot 3/4" rubber hose slipped onto outlet of turbo and brought it down to a drain pan by the drivers door so i could monitor while cranking. Id crank for 5 seconds, look at hose, and about 1 second after stop cranking, a push of oil would glug out, and the remainder would drool a bit to a stop. This struck me as good flow for length of hose and time of cranking.

Anyhow, so the rubber hose sat on the car for probably 2-3 weeks without the block return plugged...i know i know. the car pissed me off. Im wondering if the damned mud dobber wasps built a nest in the damned return to block....

Think im on the right track? Pull the connector offa block, start car while up on jackstands and verify drainage again from turbo, possibly verifying lack of exhaust smoke. Verify the tube in block is not clogged.

Thanks again for any input fellas, sorry for rambling lol.

~Mark

All top end new or rebuilt professionally.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I checked the plugs. The electrodes appear dry and slight light brown speckles appearing. There is a slight sheen on the end of the threaded roundy part of the electrode but i believe its from the antisieze migrating with the heat.

I doubt that little antisieze could smoke screen like that lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a smoke screen issue after installing a new turbo, header, exhaust and whole mess of other stuff I did recently, the car had previously been sitting for nearly 7 yrs after a spun rod bearing rebuild. I disconnected the exhaust at the turbo and checked for oil dumping into the downpipe while cranking. In my case it ended up being two things, 1) the aftermarket turbo oil pump not keeping up (to address the much lower sitting turbo using the carb/T3 cast header) 2) the rings wern't reseated yet.

I removed the oil pump and relocated the turbo drain back to the top center of the oil pan, it barely clears the axle.

The more I drove it the smoke started to disappear, probably previous oil in the exhaust system burning off and the rings needing to reseat.

Check to see if your getting oil in the down pipe, with the oil not flowing freely I had it backing up big time in the turbo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts