Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

This is for my 87 CSX. How can I tighten up a sagging door? It is the driver's side.

The pass door closes nicely and sounds like a new car, but the driver's door has sagged somewhat and now kinda "clunks" when it closes and I can feel it drop slightly when I open it.

Any input on realigning the door?

Thanks much!

FYI: Great forums here; seems like some very nice people. :thumb:

Brad
87 CSX #550

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hinge Pin??

Howdy,

Not 100% sure, but it sounds like your upper driver door hinge pin may be poo poo.....Anyone want to confirm or deny my claim??

Dom

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'd start with changing the pins and bushings, they're cheap but can be a pain if you've never done them before. Can you feel play in the door if you pull up on it when it's open? Have someone lift up and down on the door while you watch the hinge area and see of you can see where the movement is comming from.

Good luck,

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII 15.2 @ 90.7
88 Shelby Z TI 2.2 auto
91 Shelby TI 2.5 5spd
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
http://www.extremepsi.org

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Yeah if you lift on the door while its open and you can't feel play, its just an adjustment in your door handle. You actually have to put an allen wrench in the door by the latch and loosen a screw and move the rod down a bit and tighten it. It was designed to be able to adjust it with out taking the door panel off, but I have found it much easier to use this slot in the door, and take the panel off. These doors handles tend to get out of alignment after a while.....its a pain, but if you put some time into it, you will have that brand new door feel again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem Fixed!

Looks like it is just an adjustment needed. There is no play in he hinges at all. Thanks Lee'sdaytona! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Where is that door alignment part at? The guys that painted my 89 screwed up the "new car" feel in the Pass. side door...I need to do the same...

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
OK, when you open the door, Look for the part of the door, with the latch and all the factory stickers and such. There should be a tiny slot about an inch in length. This was meant for you to insert an allen wrench into the little allen head screw, which holds the door handle bar at a certain spot. What happens is over time, this screw loosenes up, and the "release point" is not at the same spot, which makes you have to lift the handle higher and lift the door to open the door, and ultimately, the door will only open from the inside. The way you were supposed to do this was pull on the handle untill you line up the screw in the track (Get a friend to hold a flashlight while you look for the screw). Loosen the screw, than push the handle down, as if it were sitting flush with the door, like it usually does, and re-tighten the screw. The problem is, the screw doesn't always move enough in the little track. So I recommend that you take the door panel off, and look for this little bar (It runs from the outside door handle down to the latch. you'll see it much better w/the panel off) and loosen the screw, play with the adjustment untill you get that new car feel....You may want to add a lockwasher (like a washer with a cut in it) to the screw so it doesn't come loose again. Let me know if you need any more help
Good luck!!
Lee

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Awesome! Great post and tip, thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts