Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to sand up my pizza wheels and have a few questions. I took a hub assembly from a daytona and mounted it in a vise. Then I simply spin the wheel with one hand and hold the sand paper with the other.

Is there an easier/more effective way?

I started off at 100 grit(dry) then went to 200 grit(wet)and worked my way slowly up to 600 grit(wet).

How much higher should I go? I was thinking of going to 800 then to 1000 and then to 1500 or so. Is there any tips on sanding at such a fine grit??

When should I start adding polish when I am sanding??
Also when should I clear/seal the wheels? Do I polish them first,then clear them??

Also what type of clear coat should I use? Is there something better?

thank you :cool:

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
I am going to polish mine soon. First you need to remove the clear coat, go to any autobody parts store and buy some remover. After that, you can start polishing. Don't laugh but I bought that kit on TV, the buffer ball ad-Spritz or Flitz, something like that, it should work pretty good. You can also get a buffer and a electric sander and start off with say 300 then move up. I can talk to my buddy tomorrow who knows how to polish stuff, he polished his ZX7 motorbike frame years ago!
I would take them to a autobody shop and have them sprayed, then they can bake on the clear coat, shouldn't cost that much to get done! Bring beer, lol!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I left my rims on the car, jacked up the front end on the front engine mount, and put the car in 2nd gear and held the paper there for about 20 mins while spraying with a hose for a bit...

Works good! Just hard to get around the lugs, and between the 'pepperonis'.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Phreakish said:
I left my rims on the car, jacked up the front end on the front engine mount, and put the car in 2nd gear and held the paper there for about 20 mins while spraying with a hose for a bit...

Works good! Just hard to get around the lugs, and between the 'pepperonis'.
That just screams unsafe!!! I wouldn't want to see what it would look like if you got your finger caught it one of those 'pepperonis'.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
didn't spin fast enough to do any damage :D I did it a couple times, raps the knuckles good, but thats about it. Now, when I did the polishing in 5th... yeah, that was just dumb.

Should probably mention that the only place I HAND sanded was the outter lip, the rest was sanded with 400 grit on a DA sander, and then blocked as it spun, doing it by hand over the lug holes and 'pepperonis' can be painful, really buzzes the fingers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you want the shine you WILL spend the time. Try and shortcut a polish job too much and you'll have uneven polished sections. Sandin' isn't technically necessary unless you want the machining grooves off the front. You can use paint remover to remove the clearcoat. After you do that the polishing is tedious, but worth it after you're done and they shine.

Unless you have major gouges I would start with 220 grit (for major imperfections) then jump to 400 grit wet dry then finish with 1000 grit wet dry. I did my pizzas when I had my SC before I went 17's and they do look good polished, but it took about 2 hrs a wheel.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Polishing mine later today also. What a trend. Already removed the clearcoat.

·
Registered
724 Posts
1986_TURBO_Z said:
I bought some polish today, I have a polishing pad for a drill, will that work??
You will want to use a powerful LOW SPEED drill for this type of polishing. Air drills work the best:) High speed drills will get the aluminum too hot... this is were you get uneven spots. You must be consistant.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what I did so far to one of the wheels in about an hour or so of polishing.

I spent about 2 hours before hand starting at 100 grit and going to 1000 grit.

·
Registered
529 Posts
wow that looks good, i've been polishing my centurian II's have about 2-3 hours into sanding alone... I'm at 1000 grit wet sanding and you can still see the sanding marks, so I guess I have to go up to 1200? I added Mothers aluminum polish and sanded with 1000 grit at the same time, did you have tons of sanding marks before you started with the polish? My rims were in real bad shape, clearcoat was complete garbage and the aluminum was corroded, started with 200 grit, then 600, 800 and now 1000.

I'm thinking I should go out and purchase a wheel polisher, you just used a polishing pad that goes on a electric drill?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a few sanding marks, this was just a test to see how it goes, as that was my first time polishing, and I was flying by the seat of my pants....lol

Here is a pic of one that hasn't been polished yet, I might have to do a bit more 1000 grit yet on this one though:

Also I was just using a polishing wheel on a drill to do the lip of the wheel, and a polising pad on a drill for the bigger areas.

Considering my wheels all looked like this before:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
That looks hot. Think I'll get started n mine since it is nice out.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
just polished one complete pizza wheel, i used wet sand paper, 3m stripping pads( 7447, 7446) to remove the clear coat. I took all the stratches out with 0000# steel wool and polished um with mothers aluminum polish

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Daytona Brad said:
thoes look sweet, want 2 polish mine 4 me?
lol, now I am starting on my crab wheels, it isn't hard at all, just get a hub from one of your daytonas and put is on a vice and start sanding, I also had the tires off as well so I could get the lip nice and smooth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts